Chapter 5: The council

Chapter 5
Later in the evening:

I am walking to Lord Elrond's council now. I am not sure what my input will be because these are all men, elves, dwarves. Warriors. How do I help them? I guess even though I am not so skilled as them I am a good friend that someone can trust. I see a courtyard in a circle with chairs all around a stone table in the middle. Lord Elrond sits upon a majestic throne to symbolise his royal blood and he is head of the council. Ok this is awkward I don't know where to sit, I cant sit with the men, I cant sit with the dwarves and I cant sit with elves. Oh gosh people are starting to stare at me. "Caitlin over here" I hear someone whisper and I turn to see Gandalf motioning to sit next to him with Frodo on his other side. Soon everybody was there luckily I didn't come late. I saw Legolas walk to his chair and he just looked so graceful doing so and wow his hair is always perfect, he literally has better hair than me.

"Strangers from distant lands ... friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle-earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite...or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate...this one doom..." Elrond begins his speech looking at every individual person, looking a bit intense really. 

"Bring forth the ring, Frodo" Elrond demands as Frodo steps forward and moves towards the stone table and places the ring on the table and returns to his seat looking nervous

"Bring forth the ring, Frodo" Elrond demands as Frodo steps forward and moves towards the stone table and places the ring on the table and returns to his seat looking nervous. I see one of the men stand up oh its the rude one Boromir. "So it is true! It is a gift...a gift to the foes of Mordor! Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, held the forces of Mordor at bay...by the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy...let us use it against him!" Boromir exclaims, what is he thinking? Why would we give the most powerful ring to him? I then think of the films and then remember his fate and it saddens me to think of it.  "You cannot wield it. None of us can. The one ring answers to Sauron alone...it has no other master." Aragorn explains to him in a kind tone, but Boromir turns and looks at him coldly. "And what would a ranger know of this matter?" Boromir states and looks at Aragorn like he is disgusted. Then to my left I see Legolas stand up "This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." He states with his head up high as I just admire him, no Caitlin you cant do that he is a prince. Boromir turns sharply "Aragorn? This is Isildur's heir?" he asks in disbelief "and heir to the throne of Gondor" Legolas answers him and looks quite annoyed with Boromir but I think everybody is. "Havo dad, Legolas" Aragorn orders him in elvish, oh no I don't think I can remember what they say.

"Gondor needs no king" Boromir rudely says to Aragorn before sitting back down while I quickly roll my eyes. "Aragorn is right...we cannot use it." Gandalf states for Aragorn. "You have only one choice. The ring must be destroyed." Elrond strongly says to us all and then suddenly Gimli stands, excitedly " Then...what are we waiting for" Gimli suddenly rushes forward! He swings his axe down on the ring. The axe shatters with a deafening crack! Gimli falls backwards, staring in disbelief at the ring...unharmed! I look to Frodo who looks like he is in pain and is clutching his forehead, oh like Harry Potter does I giggle. Oops I realised they all heard me laugh.

"The ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom...only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor, and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you must do this." Elrond exclaims and looks at each of us waiting for someone to volunteer but no Boromir has to have an input again. "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust...the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly." Boromir finishes clutching his head "well that sounds cheerful" I whisper to Frodo but I think it was louder than I thought as they all stare at me as that is the first time they have heard me talk. "Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The ring must be destroyed" Legolas stands and exclaims again, "And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?" Gimli stands also making it go into an argument. "And if we fail, what then? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?" Boromir questions depressingly but them Gimli leaps to his feet again "I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" Gimli shouts towards Legolas and then all the other elves with him stand immediately and argues with all the dwarves while Legolas holds them back. Gandalf then stands and tries to break up the argument "do you not understand? While we bicker among ourselves, Sauron's power grows! No one will escape it. You will all be destroyed, your homes burnt and your families put to the sword!" but no one hears him.

I then hear a small quiet voice "I will take it...I will take it" but no one hears it due to the argument. "OI!" I shout and everyone goes quiet and turns to me as I look back at Frodo who smiles at me for thanks. "I will take the Ring to Mordor, though...I do not know the way." he admits but Gandalf walks towards him "I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear" he places a hand on Frodo's shoulder. 

"If, by my life or death, I can protect you, I will. You have my sword." Aragorn states and moves behind Frodo. "And you have my bow" Legolas stands and walks behind Frodo as well "And my axe." Gimli join also glaring at Legolas making me laugh. Boromir looks at them all then walks towards Frodo "you carry the fate of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done." Boromir concludes finally and stands with them. I then realise that Lady Galadriel told me to join the fellowship. I then quickly stand beside Frodo "you have my trust and friendship" I say to him and he looks up with a smile. "Here! Mr. Frodo's not gong anywhere without me." Sam shouts and runs out of the bushes, "No, Indeed...it is hardly possible to separate you...even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not." Elrond smirks and I laugh quietly to myself, Hobbits are funny creatures. Then I see Merry and Pippin jump up from behind a pillar "oi! We're coming too! You'll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us." they say and stand next to Frodo "Anyway...you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission...quest...thing..." pippin stutters and looks at all of us, well I think it was pippin. "Well, that rules you out, Pip." Merry teases him and I was right about their names I say to myself. "Ten companions ... so be it.  You shall be the "Fellowship of the ring" Elrond announces and observes all ten of us. "Great. Where are we going?" Pippin questions excitedly and everyone turns to look at him either rolling their eyes or laughing, I laugh to myself then notice Legolas looking over at me and I quickly look away.