~Chapter 35~

Chapter 35

January 31st, 2014

Talia starts being hand-walked.

February 4th, 2014

Talia rolls for the first time.

February 26th, 2014

Talia trots on the lead.

April 22nd, 2014

Talia gets lunged on the lead line.

May 5th, 2014

Talia gets free-lunged.

June 2nd, 2014

Talia goes outside for the first time.

Talia’s time line. After she walked for the first time on the lead line, I had decided to create this little thing on my wall. It stretched across and was filled with pictures of our progress. Today is June 4th, and we got the all clear to put a saddle on. We decided on only putting an English one on, because it was lighter. If it all worked out, we were going to try my barrel training saddle on later in the month.

“Ready girl?” I asked the mare, who was munching on the treats that I just gave her. I rubbed her over a couple times before gently placing the saddle pad on her strong back. She stood perfectly still; a good sign.

The gang watched cautiously in the corner, making sure to help if she ever reacted badly. I then swung the saddle over her back. She flinched slightly since she wasn’t expecting it, and then recovered. I quickly did up all the girths and lead her into the arena. Everyone else followed behind us.

I could tell that she was slightly uncomfortable by the feeling of a saddle on again, but she pushed past it. Clipping the lead on, I began to lead her around the arena. After a couple of laps, she realized that she was going to be okay. Clicking my tongue, I urged her into a trot. I broke into a run as well, to keep up with her. She tossed her head, snorting. She was happy. I was happy.

She ended up tripping a couple of times, but our vet told us that that was bound to happen. Getting past the trips, I pushed her away from me so I could catch my breath. Panting, I grabbed the whip and flicked it on the ground. She continued to trot for a bit before I slowed her and moved her the other way.

Once she was warmed up both ways, I brought her in. Kissing her head, I unclipped the lead and free-lunged her. She took off at a canter, doing this strange hop/buck/rear thing. After she got everything out of her system, we played a couple of games with each other. We played a little game I liked to call ‘mimic’ where I would run, stop, and run the other way, adding in a couple of jumps along the way. She would follow everything that I would do.

Since it was so hot out, she started sweating easily. I clipped the lead on and walked her over to where everyone was standing. They all wore grins on their faces and we stepped into the cool, air-conditioned barn. Stripping her saddle off her sweaty back, I began to brush her. After that, I placed her back into her stall. The ground was really muddy in her field so we didn’t want to risk it.

She nibbled at her hay and then laid down to rest. We quickly finished all our chores and walked back to the house as the pizza delivery guy came up.

“I got this.” I told them, pulling a $50 from my back pocket. Jogging over to him, I paid and took our three large pizza boxes from him. They held open the door for me as I staggered in. My leg was fully healed, but it still felt funny with the metal rod in. I didn’t care though; I could still walk.