~Chapter 17~

I'm so sooorry! March break totally screwed me up and i forgot it was Sunday! Urgh!

So here it is, a day late, sorry once again. And yes, there will still be an upload tomorrow aswell.

~reachingforthestarsx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 17

I felt someone roughly shake my shoulder and mutter, “Ash, wake up.”

I grunted in response and snuggled closer to the cool window. “Ashley, wake up now!” the voice said louder and unclipped my seat belt.

“What do you want?” I grumbled to the person, annoyed now.

“We’re at the fairgrounds.” The voice said. I immediately shot up at that. They laughed in response as I rubbed my eyes to get them adjusted to the lighting. The sun was setting, causing a glare to shoot through the window. I looked to my left to see that it was Kristen waking me up.

I eagerly climbed out of the semi/truck to take a look at the fairgrounds. It was so much more beautiful than any of Canada’s. There were two warm up rings outside from what I could see that were surrounded by a white picket fence. There was a dirt path leading into three large buildings. Two of the buildings were red with a big white door. In the middle of those two buildings was one that was made out of steel. The door was open, and it closed from the top, like a garage door would. It had two doors on either side of the bigger door, but those doors you could clearly tell were for humans only. On the other side of the two warm up rooms was a beautiful brick building that had a sign that said, ‘Registration and loo’. Everywhere else was grass for the trailers.

“It’s gorgeous, isn’t it?” Kristen breathed from beside me, waking me out of my trance. I nodded as I heard Debby call our names from the back side of the trailer. Kristen and I briskly walked to the back in time for me to see Trey calmly walk Talia out of the trailer. She eagerly walked down the ramp and turned around as she heard my chuckle. Her ears picked up and she nickered when she saw me. I laughed and took the lead from Trey and walked Talia away from the trailer so she could munch on the grass for a bit. Kristen joined me a few minutes later while we waited for the last horse to be unloaded. When they finally finished, Debby closed the trailer and motioned us closer.

We tugged on the leads of our horses and brought them closer to the other group. “Alright ladies,” Debby said, addressing us all, “Trey will take you over to the stalls and get you all set up while I take these to registration.” She finished and then turned, walking over to the brick building. Trey then leads us to one of the red buildings. He pushed open the door and we were greeted by a huge whiff of hay and sawdust. Our horse’s shoes clicked against the cement floors as Trey looked around for our stalls. All of them were the same: wooden with metal bars.

Once Trey found their stalls, we tossed them in and began to clean them and give them hay and water. Once all that was finished we made our way to the trailer. Apparently we weren’t the only people who decided to arrive the night before. There were about another 100 trailers that had arrived while we were doing our chores. I could see another few pulling into the fairgrounds as we made our way back. Debby was already there, lounging on a chair by the portable fire put that we brought. I noticed that it had gotten colder now that it was night. I rubbed my hands together and breathed into them, looking around to see that the other girls were doing the same. Debby had set up other chairs for us all and we all took a seat in them.

“The warm up in the real arena begins at 11, and then runs start at 1:00. You can warm up at any time in the outdoor arena. And they will be posting the draw numbers tomorrow at 12:00.” She stated before leaning forward to warm up her hands by the fire. Trey then stood up and went into the trailer, later emerging with fire pokers and a bag of mushrooms. We all immediately perked up when we saw this, eagerly taking more marshmallows than we should have. Debby laughed at our inner child and we immediately stuck them over the fire. I looked around at the other girls who were all grinning; even Christina was grinning.