Narry - Be My Eyes, I'll Be Your Ears

Narry!

Prompt:  Harry is deaf, and Niall is blind. They shouldn't work, but they do. 

xx

_________________________________________________________________

It shouldn’t have worked the way it did. They shouldn’t have worked the way they did. But, neither boy could deny that there was something there, something that held them together and made them stronger. They acted as crutches for one another, leaning and pulling, and helping the other get through the day in one piece. Really, it was a miracle.

            They had met at a support group. Well, they hadn’t technically met like normal. Niall had run into Harry, knocking both of them to the ground and making them both grunt. It was a clumsy act, covering the two in dust. Immediately, their student aids had rushed to their sides, pulling them up and dusting them off. Harry wanted to say something, but he realized that he had no reason to be mad at the pale boy. When Harry’s eyes settled on Niall’s he recognized exactly what had happened. Niall had run into him, because Niall was blind—his eyes slightly clouded and unfocused.

            Honestly though, Harry wasn’t one to complain. After all, he was deaf himself.

            “I’m sorry,” Harry had said, fumbling the words out of his mouth like he had rocks filling all around his tongue. The curly haired boy had been deaf his whole life, and even though he couldn’t hear himself, he had been threw speech lessons, learning how to speak. It was hard. God, it was harder than he would ever admit, having to learn how to talk without being able to hear. But communication was easier this way, so he forced himself to do it.

            Niall had smiled a bit and chuckled, or at least, Harry imagined the chuckle (really all he saw was a jerky smile). Then he had reached out his hand, obviously wanted to touch Harry in some way. Harry was good with dealing with other people and their disabilities. Hell, that’s the main reason he came to these meetings in the first place. So Harry stepped forward, and Niall’s hands went to his hair, caressing the soft curls and smiling. Slowly, his hands slid down the sides of his face, feeling the dimples by his mouth and his soft smooth skin.

            “Your hair is so curly,” Niall had said. Harry read his lips, and then smiled back, nodding. “Why are you here? Are you an aid?”

            “No,” Harry said. He was surprised that Niall couldn’t tell by his obviously troubled speech, “I’m deaf,”

            “Wow,” Niall said, “You speak well, you know, for being deaf. And read my lips pretty well,”

            Harry smiled and nodded—only remembering after a moment that Niall couldn’t see him nod—so he said, “Yeah,”

            And then Niall did something Harry never expected. He began to do sign language. Harry beamed, looking over Niall’s beautiful features. The way his blonde hair was styles up, and the way he seemed to have a real individual sense of style, despite the fact that he couldn’t see anything. Harry knew that Niall must have learned the sign language from another disabled kid, or maybe a family member. But it still made him happier than ever.

            “Do you want to go out sometime?” Harry managed to say. He wasn’t really sure where it had come from, but now that it was out there, there was no going back.