Ziall - It's Hard To Remember A Time...

ZIALL

Prompt: hiii :) Could you do a ziall where they had been bestfriends all their life and they secretly had a crush on each other? (not famous)

Here you go, love. I hope you enjoy it.

__________________________________________________________________________________

            It was supposed to be a secret. Completely hidden from everyone except himself. Zayn was in love with his friend. But this was no ordinary friend. This was Niall Horan, the beautiful blonde haired boy who had been his best friend since they were in diapers. So it wasn’t like Zayn could just go up to him and tell him. It was a lot more complicated than that.

            But the thing that Zayn didn’t know, was that Niall was in love with Zayn too. But they were at a standstill. Each time they talked, both of the boys felt the equal pressure, they felt the intensity, they understood what would happen if their resolved snapped. Neither of them was brave enough to risk it. So, they stayed best friends, never understanding what life would be like if one of them just got up the nerves and admitted it.

            “Movie tonight?” Niall asked, as the two boys walked out of school together—their arms brushing as they walked, making both boys became slightly nervous and jumpy.

            “Of course,” Zayn smiled, making Niall’s heart pound, “Just like every Friday,”

            This was a tradition they started at the beginning of high school, when homework and life made it hard for them to see each other as often as they were used to. They decided that every Friday, no matter what the weather or mood, they would go see a movie, and share the time together—no other people allowed. Neither of them had girlfriends, although during an earlier year Zayn had tried dating his friend Perrie. It hadn’t worked out though, because Zayn realized he wouldn’t be satisfied unless he had Niall all to himself. No one else in the world made Zayn feel like he was alive. It was always Niall.

            It had always only been Niall.

            Suddenly, Niall’s phone rang, making both of their heads snap up. Niall grabbed his phone and answered it.

            “Hey, Liam,” He smiled, as he dove into a conversation that Zayn could only hear half of. As Zayn watched, his heart broke. As much as he didn’t want to admit it, both he and Niall had made other friends. It always made Zayn jealous, even though he knew that Niall would never forget him. When Niall hung up, he noticed Zayn’s thoughtful face. “You okay, mate?”

            And secretly, Zayn wanted to yell and scream that, ‘Yes, he was okay. But next time, call him love, not mate,”

            Instead, Zayn just flashed a fake smile and nodded, happy when Niall smiled back.

            They both got into Zayn’s car—they always drove to and from school together. It was always like that.

            Later that night, Zayn picked Niall up for the movies, and he couldn’t help but to think that Niall just looked amazing. Whenever they went out, Niall dressed up so…so…Zayn couldn’t even begin to describe it. It was if Niall was trying to pull at Zayn’s heart.

            Neither of the boys really paid attention to the movie. In fact, Zayn wasn’t even sure what it was about. He was too busy turning his head to study Niall’s face when he laughed. Niall, on the other hand, knew that Zayn was watching him, and was using this as an opportunity to get under his skin, show him that he needed more than just friendship. Because even after all this time, Niall needed more of Zayn.

            All of Zayn.

            “It was a good movie,” Niall smiled, wrapping his hand around Zayn’s waist and letting Zayn wrap his arm around his shoulder.

            “Yeah,” Zayn said as they walked on the sidewalk towards the parking lot.

            Niall smirked and then titled his head, “Really? What was it about?”

            “Uh,” Zayn fumbled his words, not knowing what to say.

            “I knew you weren’t paying attention,” Niall said, “You were too busy staring at me,”

            “No…I just…” Zayn said, his heart beginning to pound and threaten to jump out of his chest, because, God, if Niall figured it out, and heated him for it, he wasn’t sure what he would do with himself.

            “It’s fine,” Niall chuckled, “I like the attention,”

            “Oh,” Zayn said, relief flooding through him.

            “Yeah, we don’t get to see each other enough anymore,” Niall continued as they finally reached Zayn’s car. Instead of getting in the vehicle, both Zayn and Niall stood on the passenger’s side of the car, looking at each other with eyes full of hidden emotion—both about to just let everything go, because how can you contain something like this from your best friend for such a long time?

            “I can’t do this,” Zayn whispered, feeling his resolve break, and his emotions begin to rush forward.

            “What?” Niall asked, beginning to panic. Was Zayn about to break this friendship? Was Harry a better friend to him now? Tears began building in Niall’s eyes without him even realizing it.

            “I can’t be your friend anymore, Niall,” Zayn breathed. Niall let the tears stream down his face now.

            Now it was Zayn’s turn to panic. Looking back on it, it was probably a bad idea to use those words, but there was no going back now.

            Suddenly, Zayn was kissing Niall, pushing his back up against the car that had held this friendship together for the past three years. Everything about the moment was sentimental to Zayn, and he made sure to hold onto all of it with all the energy and strength he could muster. Niall lips were exactly what Zayn was expecting, so much better and more than a girl’s ever were. But the best part of this, was Niall. He was kissing back.

            When they pulled away from each other, they were both breathless, sucking in the cold night air around them, neither of them noticing or caring about the looks they got from passing strangers.

            “I can’t be your friend anymore because I need you to be my boyfriend,” Zayn breathed out, his voice a soft whisper. Niall’s tears started back up again, but this time, it was because he was happy.

            “You love me like that?” Niall asked, becoming completely overwhelmed and overjoyed that this was actually happening.

            “It’s hard to remember a time when I didn’t love you like this,” Zayn admitted.

            “Well,” Niall smiled, leaning forward and pressing a kiss against Zayn’s nose, “It’s hard to remember a time when I didn’t return those feelings,”

            “I love you,” Zayn said, wrapping his arms around Niall and pulling him into his chest. Niall hugged back and fisted Zayn’s shirt in his hands.

            “I love you too,” Niall whispered, “Forever,”

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the prompt!