Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

I stared up at him. I quickly lifted my hands off my stomach, not even realizing they were there, and wiped away the tears that were on my face.

"I'm fine.." I mumbled.

"It doesn't look that way." He told me.

"Well it is that way." I said, sounding like a complete idiot.

"I know what's wrong." He said.

"What are you psychic?" I joked, trying to get him to change the subject.

"Your pregnant." I froze, a million thoughts flew through my mind. 

"No, I'm not." I knew I sounded weak, and the hesitation gave me away.

"So, do you know who the father is?" He asked.

I stood up and faced him. "That is none of your business."

"So, you don't know who he is?"

I threw my hands up. "Your a real jerk, you know that?"

He laughed. "I know, but your not answering my questions."

I closed my eyes. "If you must know, I got raped." The last part came out in a whisper. I slowly opened my eyes, he was staring at me.

"Oh... Wow." He hadn't expected that. "I'm sorry."

I just shook my head. "It's fine." When was I going to stop lying? "You haven't even told me your name."

He laughed and sat down on a rock. "I'm Eric Carter. I just moved here, I live in that house." He pointed to a small house on top of the hill. 

I sat down on the rock next to him. "I'm Anna Johnson.... Which school are you gonna go to?"

"Oh, I'm home schooled." He smiled again. 

"Oh."

"How many more months do you have to go?" He asked looking at my belly.

"Uh,  seven I believe." I glanced down at my little bump.

"Are you keeping it?" 

"Uhm, I don't know yet." When were people going to stop asking me this question?

"You know something, Anna?" He stood up.

"What?" I hopped up, and stood next to him.

"I really like you." 

I stared at him. I didn't know what like he meant, but right now I didn't care.

I smiled, just as my phone buzzed in my pocket. There was a text message from my mom, saying she wanted me home.

"I have to go." I told him. "One moment though."

I hurried over to where my bag was, inside I saw that I broke a calculator and a couple of broken pencils. I ripped a little piece of paper out of my notebook and wrote my cell phone number on it.

"Here." I said handing him the paper. "Now you can text me."

He smiled. "Deal. Can you come back tomorrow after school?"

I nodded. "I'll bring my friend, Julia."

He nodded and I made my way down the hill. 

Today wasn't so bad. I thought as walked back onto the main road.