Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I stared at him as he smiled at me. I sat up and mumbled for him to come sit down. Once he was over, I could tell he was scared too.

"Hi." He said to me.

"Hello, so your Zachary?" I asked him.

"Yeah, and your Anna." He said with a light laugh.

"You helped save me.." I whispered. "If you hadn't come when you had came I would be dead."

"No, I just did what any person should do."

"Thank you." It came out in a rush.

"Like I said you shouldn't be thanking me, I just did what I should of done."

"So, you still saved me, and I'm thankful for that."

"Okay..."

There was a small uncomfortable silence. So I decided to try and make conversation. "So, if you don't mind me asking how old are you?"

"Fifteen."

"Wha?" I asked, he looked like he was seventeen. "Really? But you had a gun?"

He laughed. "I know, I look older for my age, but yes I'm really fifteen. The gun was my father's, when your friend Julia came running screaming at my door I told my sister to call the police, then I ran into my parents room and got it."

"It was very brave, and you have a sister how old is she?"

"She just turned eight, I love her with all my heart. She seems really young but she is very smart. She knew exactly what to do when I told her to call the police."

"Wow, that's amazing."

"Yeah, do you have any sisters or brothers?"

"Yeah, one sister. Her name is Lily, she's adorable."

Another silence.... 

"I don't know if this sounds weird but I'd really like to be friends." He told me.

"I do too." I replied just as the doctor walked in. 

"I'll come back later." He told me as my mom came in following the doctor. I nodded as he left.

"Hi." I told my mom.

"Hi, sweetheart." She replied as she sat done, and the doctor stood at the end of my bed.

"Anna, it seems as if your healing perfectly good." He told me. "I believe we will send you home tomorrow with some medication for the pain, but I do have to inform you, you'll have to see a counsellor once a week."

I nodded, I had dreaded those words, I didn't want to talk to someone about what happened, or even what I feel about it. "Okay." I sighed.

"Okay then, I believe we have had you do all the tests and stuff we needed, so how are you feeling?"

"I'm still in pain, but I'm getting better." I told him.

"And is the medication working?"

"Quite a bit.." Everything was silent as he nodded and left. 

I turned toward my mom. "I wanna see Lilly." I told her, I never realized how close I was to her, until now.

"Sweetie, I think she's too young for hospitals, but you can see her tomorrow when they send you home." She looked down at my ankle. "You'll have to be on crutches for a bit..." I looked down at the wrapped up ankle, it even had a brace on it. My mom stood up. "I'm gonna go home and check on Lilly, I'll be back in a bit." I nodded and as she left Zachary walked back in. We immediately began in a deep conversation.