Part 17- ''We're friends.''

Kayla Pov-

''I'm done Nathan, I'm done with this!'' I shouted at him; he shook his head.

''You're not.'' 

''I am. You don't understand what I have to go through and it's like you just don't care! Whenever she's not there, I am and it's not fair on me!'' I explained. Nathan shook his head and sighed. ''So what you're saying is that I don't care about you? I just use you when Kirsty isn't here?'' His voice was harsh, and cold. I knew I'd offended him but what about me in this situation?

''I don't know Nathan, I don't know what to think. When she comes back, you don't even talk to me. Am I supposed to like that? Because I don't.'' I replied. ''I don't talk to you because we both know what she's like!'' He raised his voice at me but I refused to give in.

''No, talking to me will not annoy her. And not talking to her will satisfy her so whatever Nathan, you go on whatever side you want. I don't care.'' 

''So you're giving up on us? Just like that?'' Nathan simply asked. ''We can't work if Kirsty is there. It takes two to be in a relationship and seems that every time we fall out, I'm the one left alone because you have her.'' I shrugged. ''But you know it's you I want to be with, not her. And you know how complicated things are, why can't you be as understanding now?'' He questioned, but this was only frustrating me.

''I've been understanding now Nathan for months, and it just get's harder! I want it to work between us because I love you but sometimes, you've got to let the one's you love go...'' The words I was saying did hurt me, but they needed to be said. Nathan and I, we'd never work, would we? I mean, not with Kirsty, his career, and whatever else in the way.

''I don't think you quite realise that when we're together, without her, we're the happiest couple in the world. We have fun, we laugh, we smile and we both enjoy ourselves! Yet when Kirsty comes back you don't talk to me. You barley even look at me. And what it feels like, is that you don't want to talk to me, and it feels like you just use me to fill in the gap when Kirsty isn't around. And I know how bad that is of me to say but it's just how I feel Nathan!'' 

''I-I don't know what to say, Kayla. I don't mean to make you feel like that, because it's not true.'' Nathan stuttered his words and I could see that he meant them.

''We need to end here.'' I stated, un-able to look at him; I couldn't face it.

''What does that mean? We're breaking up?'' He asked.

''Let's just think of it as we were never together in the first place.'' I half smiled, even though it was ripping my heart in two inside.

''K-kayla.'' Nathan reached out, holding my hand in his. 

His soft touch sent shivers down my spine. But it was a feeling I loved, a feeling I longed for. As my eyes met his I could see the pain inside them and it was me that caused it to be there. 

''I don't want to lose you.'' His words were soft, saddened. 

''You won't, we'll always be friends.'' I smiled.

Nathan shook his head and stepped closer to me. I could feel his warm breath on my face. ''I don't want to be friends, I want to be so much more than that.'' He told me. His fingers stroked gently down my cheek and followed the line of my jaw. As they reached my chin, he pulled my face upwards towards his own. 

Our lips met.

Moving directly in time and fitting perfectly together, I got that same electricity feeling pulsing through my body. But this kiss was different. This one was tender; a kiss I wouldn't forget. It was like we were saying goodbye, but then hello at the same time.