Chapter Eighteen

Lucas

"What."
"Wait we're on an island?"
"What are we gonna do?"

People surrounded me- my friends, Lucas' friends...

Then Lucas butted in- "Guys, guys, give her some space already!" And then he shouted, "RIGHT! Everyone in their age groups! NOW! And bring Villainos to me!"

They obeyed him. He's a much better leader than me.

Villainos was thrown to the ground I front of Lucas. He looked up at us through blackened eyes and sneered.

"You'll never get away. Never. Backup of mine will come. You'll see."

"Oh really." Said Lucas.

"Really, sonny."

"I don't believe it. We'll defeat them anyhow." Then he slapped Villainos across the face.

Lucas and I assigned each age group to a particular task. Some collected firewood, others food. Gabby and Jay helped with this. Me and my group of friends set out to help recover clothes to stock for when they were needed. We also helped some boys cut and sand timber to make boats.

Beth sighed. "We'll never get out of here."

"Don't lose hope, Beth!" Said Holly.

"But we have none to lose."

"But we do have some hope." I said. "We will get out of here, you have my word."

~

We sat around different campfires that night. We were assigned to sleeping areas and some of the older children kept watch. This included me.

I sat at the edge of the beach, water lapping at my feet. I looked out at the horizon. Who knows how far away home was. Who knows what was out there. We had thousands of children to return home, and it would take weeks, maybe months, to do all we had to do.

I had to make a personal choice too. Would I choose Lucas or Jake?

I had known Jake my whole life basically. If we went out and then broke up, it would ruin our friendship. Lucas I had known for a few weeks. But who should I choose?

I hardly knew Lucas, and although he was nice, he seemed like a player. He took pride in his looks, and always counted on them to get the girls. Jake was good looking, but he didn't brag about them. And his personality was great too.

Why oh why did love have to be so complicated?

Speak of the devil, Lucas came and sat next to me. He stretched his hands out and put them behind his back and dug his fingers into the sand. He sighed and looked at me.

"What are you thinking about?"

Like you want to know.

"Home mostly. I think about it all the time. Since when do instances like this ever happen? This is madness. How did no one report this or find out about it? Thousands of children, missing!"

"Because everyone was afraid. They were afraid they'd be called crazy."

"But still."

We sat in silence. Lucas looked at me and leaned towards me.

"You have gorgeous eyes."

He leaned in. Slowly we came together. His lips touched mine.

I was so tempted. So, so tempted. But I pulled away. It was just wrong. How could I love two people? I had to decide, and soon.

The look in Lucas' eyes killed me. They looked like they had shattered into a million pieces.

So I told him this. I told him that I had to choose between him and a boy back home. And I hadn't chosen yet.

A tear rolled down my cheek. Lucas stood up and walked away.

Why is life so hard?

What's up everyone? I'm sick at home so I'm writing this.

Comment on who you think Lydia will choose. Or who you want her to choose. I will decide, but you can have an opinion too...

xo Chloe