Chapter Ten

Your imagination is better than pictures, so use it to see what the captive land looks like on the outside. I don't imagine it like this, but I thought the picture would make it interesting. Happy imagining!

The guards take me down a passage- a different one this time, but it isn't long. Right, left, left again- wait what? A door? We head through it and they chuck me and my belongings into a giant courtyard.

It is a simple slab of concrete, It is about... 15 metres square. A creaking, corrugated iron structure is the roof, slanting sideways under apparent age. All around it for about 100ms is green grass just on the verge of dieing- but it isn't long. Past that is dense rainforest, or jungle. Weird, for England. Unless... no, I won't allow myself to think that. It's the same jungle I saw through my small window that morning in my prison room. On the horizon, I see a stone structure- a tower covered in ivy. Birds soar high into the sky, towards the sun. It is quite beautiful, really. I wish I was one of them today, so I could escape back to London and warn the police about Villainos.

A whistle blows, sharper than a sword and louder than a microphone on full. A deep voice calls out loudly through a megaphone,

"ALL CAPTIVES REPORT TO THE QUADRANGLE IMMEDIATELY!"

I cover my ears. The loudness of his voice echoes all throughout the arena. Ley, ley, ley, ley...

I look towards the vast expanse of space called jungle. Birds screech out into the blue sky dotted with fluffy white clouds. I can hear a soft rumbling in the trees. Through the opaque mist I see shadows. The rain specked air lifts and the rumbling becomes louder. Suddenly human shapes pop out onto the green grass, some stumbling, others keeping their pace. The come in 10s, 50s, 100s! Heaps of them, all rushing around to get to this structure.

They all arrive, wearing the same uniform as me. The age groups are from 3 years to 18. I cannot believe someone would capture so many children in so many age groups. It's just evil.

The arrange in lines, apparently in ages. I step back towards the door, turning my head from side to side, looking at the hundreds of children. That is when I notice the window.

It is huge, as long as a football field. Behind it is a desk and bookshelves. Villainos, I think.

I look at the children- all from different European races. German, English, Scottish, Irish- all over the place. The voice comes from the loudspeaker again.

"YOUR CAPTAIN TO SPEAK TO YOU." Buzzes the voice.

"CAPTIVES, I INTRODUCE YOU TO THE NEWEST OF YOU- LYDIA!" Starts Villainos. The children clap and cheer politely.
"LYDIA IS SMART AND WISE. SHE IS A LONDON GIRL AND SHE IS SEVENTEEN. SHE SHALL BE YOUR LEADER. LUCAS- I WANT YOU TO SHOW LYDIA HOW TO RUN THE ARENA. LUCY, BETHANY, HOLLY, CAITLYN, MAKE SURE HE DOESNT GET UP TO ANY MISCHIEF! THANK YOU!"

The speaker crackles and dies. I stare at all these European children. It is news to me that I will be their leader.

One child at the front of the crowd steps up to me and tugs my shirt.

"Guten tag, ich heiße Julia, und ich bin drei jahr alt. All that means 'good day, I am called Julia, and I am three years old.' I am from Germany!"

"Hello, Julia. Nice to meet you. Would you please get this Lucas, this leader of yours, for me?"

"Ja, of course Lydia." she happily skips off into the crowd. I am surprised a three year old can talk so well.

She comes back with a lanky boy who looks 18 by the hand. He stumbles towards me, he flicks his black mop out of his face to reveal startling green eyes. He looks up. His facial expression and round eyes say that he knows that he's good looking.

"Hey, gorgeous." he gives me a cocky smile. "I'm Lucas."

I look him up and down. He looks at me and grins again, and I roll my eyes. Definitely not a gentleman.

"Look. Stop flirting with me and get on with showing how to lead this place and show me around."

'Oh snap!'s and 'oh damn!'s come from the back.

"Alright then, calm down!" Says Lucas, that smile disappearing from his face. Finally.

"Yes, sir." I say. I really don't like this kid.

Haha Lucas! Good try but it's not gonna work with Lydia! Sorry for the long chapter. Happy reading folks! Vote, comment, follow!