Chapter Eleven

You'll find out what the picture is in this chapter!

Lucas and I walk towards the jungle. We walk into it for a while, the density of the jungle is amazing. It's very humid, but these clothes are good for humidity, and these joggers are very multi-purpose!

We come to a wobbly ladder bridge. Uh oh.

"Don't fret, hun." Says Lucas and I see his smirk.

"I've already warned you not to flirt with me." I say with gritted teeth.

"Or what?" He says, starting across the bridge. I really do not like this guy. I mean he's cute, but still... Darn. I did not just say that.

"Just stop, ok?"

"Why? Do you have a boyfriend? Huh! Who am I kidding, of course you do, you're gorgeous!"

Wait. He actually thinks I'm pretty?! I've never considered this myself, but still. I'm pretty average- black/brown hair, hazel eyes, average height. He wasn't just out to annoy me? And his tone of voice- was that jealousy?

"You really think so?"

Stop it, Lydia! You're making a fool of yourself! And anyway, you're supposed to be angry at him, remember?

"Yeah, I do. And what of it?" Says Lucas. I see him smirk again. "You probably have a boyfriend, so why would you care if some other boy thought you were pretty?"
He turns to me, and I see anger, jealousy, and a little sorrow... wait what? And then his eyes widen, and he turns around again, but I can see that he can tell that he has said too much. Now I'm the one smirking.

"So. Do you have a boyfriend?" Lucas says to cover up.

"No, but I have had a couple in the past. But that was high school, you know, and they were just using me. They looked straight at my face and body instead of my heart. It's a pity that people can't see the heart and personality before they see the face. *sigh* I've always experienced people liking me for my looks and not my heart. Most people would be the other way around, you know, but in the same context. They would think they weren't pretty, and would want a person to look at their heart and not their looks. I'm the other way around, see. And I don't want it that way. I just want that one person to look at my heart instead of my face, you know?"

Why is it that the only face that springs to my mind is Jake's?

~

We are over the bridge now, which was not as wobbly as I thought it would be (probably because of all the kids running over it), and Lucas tells me about all of us captives, and why we're here. Of course, I already know all of this, but to make up for before, I act more like a lady. He also tells me that there are other bridges, over different parts of the chasm.

We come to a clearing, a big one. There is still trees all around, and brilliant grass on the ground, however it is a clearing, like a huge camping ground.

"We put some teenagers in each dormitory, so they can look after the little'ns." Says Lucas. I have only just noticed that he has a slight Irish accent.
"So we spread the age groups out. You'll be in Hut 16 of 112."

"Yes. But 112 barracks! How many to each?"

"15."

"But that means that there are roughly..." I quickly do the Maths. "1700 of us. 1700! Wow!"

"Bit of a smart one you are." Mutters Lucas. I curl a strand of hair over my hair. No!!! I am not going to flirt with this guy!!! I quickly dignify myself.

"Yep." Continues Lucas. "And we have to feed all of us. Although Villainos gives us food."

"So tell me, Lucas. How do we get our letters?"