Chapter Four.

Chapter Four.

We follow Ross upstairs into the V.I.P area, and I realize that every elegantly dressed snob is staring at us as we walk past him or her – their eyes showing nothing but amusement. We get to the back of the room, and walk through an entrance. Ross holds the large oak door open for us as we quickly walk through, and then closes it tightly behind us. I hear him lock it.

My heart is beating loud in my ears, my palms sweating. Ethan and I stand awkwardly next to each other, staring at the desk that Ross stands behind.

“Sit.” We both simultaneously snap our heads upwards at the sound of his forceful voice. “Please.” He quickly adds.

At least he has manners, I think to myself.

I take a seat on the brown leather sofa that has been pushed to the right side of the office. Ethan goes opposite me, on a wooden chair across the room. He’s still avoiding eye contact, and I think that Ross is the main cause of this. I clasp my hands in front of me, fidgeting with the gold ring on my index finger.

“Now, apparently we have an issue.” Ross’ voice is loud, and reeks of authority. “What exactly was going on down there?”

Ethan is the first to speak, his voice worried, his shoulders still hunched. “I’m sorry. We were just having some fun, and it was completely my fault. She was sitting at the bar for quite a while, and I mean – look at her.” He waves his hand in my direction, briefly making eye contact with me for the first time since we were caught. “She’s like a freaking Goddess. How could I not ask her to dance with me?”

This takes me by surprise. Ethan had looked so defeated, so guilty – almost pathetic. I thought that for sure, he was going to tell Ross my plan – I mean, it is his job that’s in jeopardy.

“You have a solid point there, Ethan. But unfortunately for you, she is my mate. You do understand what that means, don’t you?” Ross stares at him seriously and he slowly nods. “Right, so now that we understand each other, you are going to be on probation for at least two-“

“Wait! No, you can’t punish Ethan.” I interrupt. “This isn’t right. He’s just covering up for me. This was all my idea… and it was to prove a point – it just went too far.” I grab the leather seats of the sofa and clench onto the material with dear life.

Ross looks intrigued, and walks towards where I sit. I watch his feet come closer to me, until they stop beside me and I hear the audible ‘umph’ of his bottom hitting the leather. I look up to his eyes, which actually seem very warm and welcoming at the moment.

“So was a point proven?” He asks, his left eyebrow arched – his voice back to being husky and alluring.

“Uh, yes.” I manage to squeak.

“And?” He pushes curiously, a sly smile spreading across his face.

“And I would have been happier with different results – although the test itself worked out accordingly.” I say, rather confidently.

“Ah, I see. So this was entirely your fault then?” He asks, a mischievous look clear as day playing through his eyes.

“Yes, my fault.” I assure him. He looks at Ethan, assessing him.

“You can go now, bar boy. Just be sure to keep your hands to yourself in the future. Got it?” All kindness has left his voice again.

Ethan nods in understanding, and raises to his feet. He gives me one last pitiful glance as he exits the office, and I’m left alone with Ross.

Terribly alone.

The atmosphere in the office is precipitously stuffier than it was when there were three of us in it. Ross stands, walking across the room to where Ethan had been sitting on the wooden chair. He drags the chair until it is only a few feet away from me, and sits in it. He is directly across from me, demanding my attention.