Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

TABBITHA.

            “We need to ditch this car.”

            “Turn left here!” I say, finally glad to be able to see where here is.

            The car makes a tight left turn and my body leans into the door. Ross had finally let me take his damned shirt off of my head when we were far and clear from the building. We searched the car for video cameras, or hidden microphones – but came up empty handed. We do know that the car had a tracking device though, so ditching it is the best thing we can do.

            We continue to drive and I stare out my window, looking for a good place to park the car. I don’t think this road is busy enough or deserted enough. There could be undercover Officials just crawling through this town, and I find myself growling out loud.

            “Are you an animal?” Ross says, his expression cold.

            “No, I just hate the Officials.”

            “So you were thinking about them?”

            “Yes.” I say.

            “And you growled.” He states.

            “Yes!” I exclaim.

            He rolls his eyes and laughs.

            “You are one weird female.” I slap him on his shoulder.

            Just as I pull my hand away, I see a familiar figure walking the sidewalk on his side of the car.

            The air is pulled from my lungs and I gasp.

            “What is it?” Ross asks, slowing the car down.

            “It’s Evaline…” I point towards his rolled up window.

            “Shit! And she’s with Ethan.” He says, banging his hand off of the steering wheel.

            “We have to stop and warn them!” I yell, but Ross continues to drive.

            I watch her as we pass them walking, and surprise myself when I reach over to the steering wheel and honk the horn. Evaline immediately directs her attention towards our car, but I know that she cannot see us.

            “Are you crazy?” Ross seethes, looking at me. “We can’t attract any sort of attention towards us!”

            “I’m sorry, but we have to talk to them! They have to know about what’s going on!” I scream, pulling at the ends of my hair.

            I am tempted to jump out of this moving car and race towards them, but I know that would be a selfish act on my part. I could not only get myself caught - but Evaline, Ethan and Ross as well. I try to relax back into my seat as Ross takes the next turn, and I can no longer see Evaline and Ethan.

            “We are going to park the car along this road, and than we can go by foot until we meet up with them.” Ross says, his fingers tensing around the steering wheel.

            “Okay.”

            Ross parks the car along the street where several other cars are parked. We get out of the car, and I notice Ross placing the keys on his seat before he shuts his door. He walks to where I stand at the curb by the sidewalk.