Chapter Twenty-Two.

Chapter Twenty-Two.

TABBITHA.

            The halls are surprisingly empty as we scale the walls, our bodies pressed tightly to them. We stick out like a cowherd in the city streets, our colored clothing against these bland white walls. My adrenaline rush keeps me going strong, leading Ross into –what I assume to be – the right direction.

            I search the ceilings for cameras, knowing that this building must be covered in security devices – but surprisingly can’t see any. Suddenly I hear footsteps, and looking to my side at Ross, I know that he hears them too. They are coming from around the corner, just mere feat away from where we stand. My heart leaps into my throat as I wrack my brain for some sort of plan. But as the feat round the corner, I am still coming up empty. Suddenly Ross springs to life in front of me, and is slamming the oncoming Official against the wall beside me.

            “What do you think…” The Official starts to curse as Ross puts his hand against his mouth.

            “Tell us how to get out of here.” Ross demands from the agent, putting his other hand around his throat.

            He struggles as his face starts to go pale, and shakes his head furiously. Ross removes his hand the slightest bit away from the man’s mouth to let him speak.

            “You will never get out of here alive!” He seethes, grinding his teeth together.

            Ross slams his body back against the wall roughly, and I find myself swooning over his strength. This is such a rapid turn around from his cowardly persona only moments ago.

            “We are getting out of here, whether you help us or not.” He half shouts and half whispers, and suddenly his hand is jabbing the Official’s throat. The agent’s head instantly lops to the side and his body goes limp under Ross’ hold.

            Ross gently lets him slide to the floor and I watch in awe.

            “You are a ninja.” I say, and Ross just shakes his head.

            “Let’s go, before more of these slime-bags catch our trail.” He leads this time, and we go back to scaling the walls.

            An idea hatches.

            “Wait.” I whisper, grabbing his shoulder. “Go back there and grab his clothes. Change into them.” His eyes light up, and I know he has caught onto my plan.

            “Good idea. They should be close to my size, maybe a little tight – but it will work.” He goes back to the agent and I keep an eye on our surroundings.

            At least we have a little bit of a plan; it’s better than blindly taking to these halls with nothing to fall back on. Now at least we can try to fool them.

            Ross comes back wearing the finely trimmed white suit, and I have to admit he looks good. He has always worn suits, but they have been black. Nothing in comparison to the pure white he wears now – which makes him look Godly. I shake my head.

            “So if we run into anymore of these guys, here’s the plan.” He says. “I am going to quickly grab your arms and pretend to be escorting you to the interrogation room – or something along those lines.”

            “Something along those lines?” I say, raising an eyebrow.

            “You’re the one that wanted to improvise, so deal with it.” He snips back, and I smile.