Chapter Two.

Chapter Two.

“That’s a pretty name, Evaline.” He smirks, turning towards the alcohol stand behind him. He grabs for a glass bottle of something on one of the higher shelves, stretching the length of his body upwards. I watch as his shirt lifts the tiniest bit, revealing a small portion of his back.

Oh, what it would feel like to dig my nails into…

What? I shake my head, not believing the images that just flashed through my head. I watch the back of his head, only to realize that the alcohol stands are propped in front of a large mirror. I catch Ethan staring at me through it, a knowing look playing in his eyes.

This just keeps getting better. How many times can I make an ass of myself? Stupid question – and I don’t even want to know the answer.

“Here, have a drink.” He turns around, placing a glass with dark liquid before me. I eye the drink with consideration, and curiosity. “You look like you could use something with a bit of a punch.”

“Uh, thanks.” I look to him, pick up my glass – and drink. The bitter bite of the alcohol hits my taste buds instantly, and I force the brown liquid down my throat – feeling the intense burn the whole way down. I cough, trying to be as discreet as possible. Ethan watches, laughing the whole time. “S-sorry, not much of a drinker.”

“Really? If you hadn’t of just told me so, I would have never guessed.” He cracks his knuckles, grinning. “Natural; that’s for sure.”

“I can see that you’re a wise guy, and to answer your earlier question… no, I am not yet mated.” I force another gulp of fiery liquid down my throat, kind of getting used to its burn.

“Ah, I see. So you’ve come to Vendri to find the lucky guy? Or just having some fun?” He pours some drinks and grabs some beers, sliding them down the length of the bar table towards the couple that had been tongue-locked.

I’m slightly taken by his blunt curiosity, but it also intrigues me to answer him. Finishing off my drink, I place it back on the table and watch him as he prepares more drinks for the servers to pick up.

“I’m not here hunting. I’ve come here with a purpose, and it’s actually a really long story – so I won’t bother boring you.” He has reminded me of my mission, and I feel a sudden pang of disgust within myself. How did I let myself get so distracted?

“I’m actually enjoying your company, Evaline. Please… enlighten this poor bar boy.” He widens his eyes and pouts his bottom lip. I can’t help myself and I am suddenly trembling in laughter.

“Oh my. That has got to be the worse puppy-dog face ever.” He sticks his tongue out at me, making me feel childish and giddy. “Alright, okay. I will tell you my story – just promise me that you will never make that face again?”

“Ah, I can’t promise you anything darling. But please, proceed.” He places another glass of the brown liquor in front of me, and I gratefully smile.

“I’m here because I need to make someone hate me.” It’s the best plan I have, and it’s all I’ve got to count on. Maybe Ethan will be able to help me somehow after I have told him everything. Maybe.

“Hate’s a strong word, love.” He quickly replies.

“Not as strong as the word love.” I arch my brow, challenging him. He slightly tilts his head, motioning for me to continue. “I was grocery shopping, and this man started talking to me.”

“Oh no! Not a man!” He dramatically raises his hands and jumps. I roll my eyes and continue, choosing to ignore his childish mocking.

“He didn’t just talk to me though, he had this look. He was staring at me, and he suddenly gasped. It was like he was seeing me allover again, except with recognition. His body had recognized me, Ethan.  He thinks that I’m his mate.” I lay my head in my hands, leaning over the table more towards him.