Chapter Three.

Chapter Three.

I ask Ethan where the washrooms are, and he tells me that my best bet is to go upstairs.

“There is one down here, but it will most likely be trashed – not to mention the huge line-up you will have to wait in.” He points across the large room, over the crowd, to a lit doorway. Just like he had predicted – there’s a massive line-up.

“Okay. What makes you think upstairs will be different?”

“Ah, upstairs is V.I.P, only a select bunch are allowed up there. I will just tell the bouncer guarding it to let you through.” He says slyly.

“Thanks. I will meet you back here in a few, okay?” I ask.

“Absolutely.” He confirms, nodding his head and sending me a wink that makes me blush, again.

He walks me over to the body guard that is standing in front of the stairs, says something in his ear that makes him nod in approval. The guard moves to the side, and waves for me to proceed.

“Once you’re all the way up, the bathrooms are to your right.” His voice reaches me as I hover over the fifth step -I nod, and continue.

The heavy house music from downstairs floats into the upper level -creating a different feel to this atmosphere. The lights are dimmed, but the air up here lacks the smell of sweat and the array of smoke. There are elegantly dressed woman, and suited men sitting at tables, talking in hushed tones. The whole scene seems intimate, and romantic almost. A few people see me observing, and narrow their eyes at me – I take this as an indicator to scuttle along to the bathroom beside me.

After I am done my business, I take a minute to assess myself in the mirror. My red hair has not taken well to the stuffy air downstairs, and has grown a tad frizzy. I wet my hands slightly, and run my fingers through my curls. There – that’s a little better. I pucker my lips, and add a tad of red shimmer to them. My head is a little hazy as I look at my reflection, and I think that I have had one brown drink too many.

Why am I so concerned about my appearance?

Because you want to look nice for Ethan.

I should be concerned, only to catch the eye of some random, so that I can execute my plan. Ethan was never supposed to be part of the equation. I suddenly wish that I had never met him – but the pang of hurt that explodes in my chest is enough to eliminate that thought instantly. Ethan should be done his shift now, and is hopefully waiting at the bar for me. I take a deep breath and square my shoulders, trying to dowse myself in a newfound courage. I walk out of the washroom, but am stopped once I make it out of the doorway. I have walked face first into something rock-hard. My hand flings straight to my nose as I let out a weak cry of pain.

“Evaline.” The voice is familiar, and husky. I slowly raise my head, my hand still covering my nose.

Ross.

“Uh, hi.” How did he find me in the washroom? This is not how my plan is supposed to go.

“Are you alright? You ran into me pretty hard.” His lips show a trace of humor, but I can tell that he’s refraining from laughing. He gently grabs my hand – the one that is covering my nose – and reveals my face. With his other hand he lifts my chin, so that I stare at him square in the eyes.

“Oh yeah, I’m just dandy. Why are you stalking the woman’s washroom anyways?” I narrow my eyes at him suspiciously. He releases my arm, and takes a step backwards.

“I, uh, was just waiting for someone.” He hesitantly replies.

“Oh, really? I didn’t see anyone else in there.” He shifts uncomfortably on his feet. “Well, I’m going to get going… nice, uh – seeing you again.” I awkwardly say.

“Yeah, I’m here a lot… so see you around.” He replies, backing away.

Well I’m not here a lot.

I can feel his eyes burning a hole through my back as I quickly retreat down the stairs, and past the bodyguard. I make my way back to the bar where –thankfully – Ethan is waiting for me. He smiles as I approach him, which makes me smile.

“Shall we dance?” He asks, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the dance floor.

“We shall.” I reply, feeling a tad nervous. I haven’t danced since prom, and that was with females – and four years ago.

The beat of the music is ongoing and hyper, I remember it being irritating when I first arrived – but now it is almost welcomed. I feel the vibrations through my feet travelling all the way up to my chest, making it seem like my heart is pounding ten times faster then it should be.

Ethan grabs my other hand, and lifts both of them above my head inching closer and closer. I can feel his chest pushed up against mine, and we sway in time with the music. Little jolts of electricity prick at me wherever our skin touches, and the people on the dance floor surround us – stuffing us in like an airtight package. Our proximity gets me heated, I feel as if I’m floating – and there’s nothing that could ruin this moment for me. I look up at Ethan, the tip of my nose just touching his. His hands rest on my thighs, just below my bottom. His eyelids are dropped in a lustful, hazy sort of stare. I place my hand to his neck, pulling him even closer to me, putting my fingers through his sandy-blond hair. I can feel the heat of his breath on my skin, and suddenly our lips are touching – and we are kissing.

A million different things erupt within me – all at once. Desire, love and passion only in the top three.

Our lips continuously collide and move, his tongue slips into my mouth and I automatically retaliate, twisting mine with his. My hands slip under his shirt, touching his bare skin and digging my fingers into him with need. His right hand finds my bottom and stays there, his left hand around my waist – keeping us as close as possible. This is all completely new for me, but I can’t stop. The way his lips feel on mine, the way his calloused hands feel as they slip just below the hemline of my dress, the way his scent completely enthralls me – there is nothing better then this.

His lips brush my ear, causing me to shiver in delight. The heat of his breath and the whisper of his voice is enough to send me over the edge right here – and now.

“How would you feel about leaving this joint, and going somewhere with a bit more privacy, love?” I take his lips to mine again in answer.

“If you want to keep your job here, Ethan – I would back off.” A booming voice interrupts us, making us pull apart abruptly. People dancing close to us also pull apart, staring at the culprit of this sudden disturbance. Ethan turns around, and I look behind him.

There, standing a mere three feet away from us is - Ross.

“Ah, common boss. I’m done my shift, there’s no harm being caused.” Ethan replies calmly, meanwhile I feel my eyes bulging out of their sockets.

“Boss?” I question, more to myself.

“Yeah, boss. And you see, Ethan, there is some damage being done. This one here is my mate.” Ross exclaims furiously, staring daggers at me. His fists clench and unclench at his sides, his voice trembles with anger.

Oh no, oh God no.

“She said that she’s unmated, so I don’t see how that could be true- shit!” Ethan shakes his head in disbelief, pushing his fingers roughly through his tousled hair. “I can’t believe this.”

“It’s not possible.” I weakly say, shifting on my feet uncomfortably.

“You two need to come with me, now. We have made enough of a scene here.” Ross throws both of us a glance that holds no mercy, and motions for us to follow him.

I steal a glance at Ethan, his shoulders hunched in defeat. He avoids making eye contact with me, and my stomach uneasily churns as I follow behind the two men.

How has it come down to this? Ross has recognized me as his mate, and I have recognized Ethan as mine. Ross is Ethan’s boss. How could this get any worse, and better yet… how can any of this be resolved?