Chapter Seven.

Chapter Seven.

It’s been two days without any word from Ross or Ethan. It’s been quiet, suspiciously so. I feel as if this is only the calm before the storm, and I can’t help but be antsy.

“Would you stop making arrangements already? There aren’t enough people in this town to buy all of the premade bouquets you’ve arranged!” Tabby scolds me, throwing her arms into the air.

I had called Tabby up the minute I had gotten home, two nights ago, after my encounter with Ross. Of course, I told her everything.

“I can’t just sit here and do nothing, Tabs.” I throw my knife on the counter, watching it slide into a stack of finished order forms. “What would you do, if you were in my situation?” I ask.

She grabs a stool and sits. “I would have already called the Officials, before I got in it as deep as you are, missy.”

“Really? Because they probably would have taken me with Ross – had I called them.” I flatly say.

“You don’t know that for sure, and if you don’t accept Ross as your mate, then the Officials are going to know soon enough. They have a way of finding things out, Eva.” She’s right, and I know it. It’s just hard to think about it, not knowing what to do about it.

“The thing is though – when Ross kissed me… I felt something. I kept telling myself over and over that I wasn’t accepting him. Although I was kissing him back, I was not accepting him!” My voice sounds frustrated, and I’m suddenly furious. “Why did he have to go and kiss me? Why?”

The question is more for myself, then for her. I don’t expect her to have the answers for everything - that would be too easy. She comes over to me and wraps her arms around me.

“Oh honey, it will all work out. We just have to come up with a plan.”  She says, letting me go.

“A plan? I already tried that – and it backfired on me. I have feelings for both of them… and it’s going to get me into a lot of trouble. I can feel it.” Tabby looks at me with sympathy.

“That’s another thing that’s unheard of.” She says, resting her chin on her hand. “It’s one thing to have a male initiate the mate, but a completely different thing when the female in question has found a different mate – and has feelings towards both of them. You’re only supposed to have true love for your mate.”

“Does that mean that they’re both my mates?” I question, seriously confused. “And I never said that I’m in love with Ross… I don’t know what to call it.” Heck, most of the time all that man does is infuriate me.

“Seriously, Eva. Why couldn’t you have just stayed single, who goes grocery shopping at night anyways?” She shakes her head and laughs a little.

“I know.” I groan. “They don’t teach us this in school.” I laugh a little, seeing the humor in it as well.

“What’s so funny?” A stern female voice asks us from the door. We both turn around to look at her. She’s just a petite thing - about five foot two. Her hair is shoulder – length, black and pin-straight. She’s squinting her eyes, as if adjusting to the light change. Her skin has an olive tone to it, and her eyes seem to be grey. She stands tall and business like, and doesn’t seem like she is a very approachable person, at all.

“Oh, nothing. Can I help you?” Tabby asks.

“Are you here to place an order?” I ask.

She shakes her small head, her straight hair barely moving. “No, no. I’m actually here to apply for a job.” She says.