Chapter Thirteen.

Chapter Thirteen.

Ross.

            The club has been jam-packed all week and the people seem to be in a frenzy. There appears to be far more woman in here lately than men, and truly that never really happens. Usually there is a pretty equal amount of both genders – never a substantial amount more of one than the other. I have always figured that this is because of the obvious… most woman fear finding their mate. Some of them go searching for them, ready to go on with their lives and start a family. The men in here are looking to get laid, simple as that. But lately things seem off balance – just odd.

            Maybe it’s all in my head. Perhaps I’m just overthinking it since I have so much on my mind. Thoughts and images of Evaline have been dancing around in my head nonstop, and every opportunity to escape the incredibly distracting and draining memories of her I get; I take.

            I have thought little of the woman that suddenly showed up in my office that one night, a few weeks ago. I can’t forgive myself for doing what I did with her, especially knowing that she is Evaline’s best friend. I can only assume that Evaline knows what happened between her and I, by now. I wonder how she feels about it? Is it possible for her to be angry, or even jealous over me? Does she care about me enough to feel those things?

            What angers me to the bone though is knowing that my dearest Evaline’s best friend is actually a backstabbing female. A true friend could not do to her what she has done. Unless she didn’t know about me - something tells me that she knew all about me though. Who are the bad guys in this?

            I run my hands through my hair in frustration. I’m not supposed to be thinking about all of this crap, I have got a business to run for God’s sakes. There are thirty employees that are expecting the payroll to be completed by tomorrow night, the inventory has to be looked over and sent through, there are contracts to be negotiated and bills to be processed and paid. This job was easy enough when I didn’t have anyone or anything to interfere with it – or more like, cloud my head with nonsense. I’m good with numbers, not love.

            Love has always been an afterthought in my mind, and whenever the thought of being in a relationship with my mate lingered for a second too long, I quickly diminished it by focusing on my solely owned business. And the business is thriving! I have made it so far on my own – so successful. And then what happens?

            Evaline.

            I can’t even say that I regret meeting her in that grocery store. Her face is permanently carved into my mind. When I think of her smile, I smile. Every time I replay our second kiss I am overwhelmed with passion and have to squirm to readjust myself. It’s just so damned distracting! If we could only be together… Or even see each other on a more regular basis, and then just maybe it would help me. I miss her so much, which is why I think I can’t stop imagining her.

We haven’t spoken, haven’t written and I haven’t even heard her name spoken out loud; except for when I have accidentally let it slip from my lips when I’m alone.

 A few weeks have felt like an eternity.

I can almost feel the barriers being broken and the walls keeping Evaline from me being cracked. I have to see her tonight, even if we can only appear as friends – it has got to happen. I place the payroll list – which I have been absently staring at - down on my desk, and rummage through my pocket for my cellphone. My hand shakes a little in anticipation. 

The phone rings.

Once.

Twice.