Chapter Twelve.

Chapter Twelve.

            “Listen, I thought that what I was doing was all a part of our plan.” I hear her exhale on the other end of the phone.

            “You’re right it was. I just…”

            “You just realized that you have feelings for him, didn’t you?”

            “I don’t know.” I pause. “Yeah, it just happened though. It’s all so unexpected – and I can’t help the way I feel.” I plop down on my couch and stare at the ceiling, cradling the phone between my ear and my shoulder.

            “So now you hate me?”

            The line is silent as we both mull over her words.

            “Of course I don’t hate you,” I sigh. “I just need some time to accept what happened. It was an automatic reflex to hit you when you told me that you had slept with Ross. I barely knew that I was doing it until it was too late.”

            “Oh, I know. I just…” Her voice breaks up on the other end. “I can’t lose you.”

            “And you won’t.” I chuckle a little. “Ever.”

            “Okay, love you Eva. Get some rest.”

            “Love you too. Just keep that vagina of yours away from my boys!” I joke, already having forgiven her earlier today.

            “You bitch…” I hang up, laughing quietly to myself.

            I chuck the phone on the cushion beside me, shutting my eyes – too tired to walk to the comfort of my own bed – and feel myself quickly drifting off into slumber.

            I frantically turn my head, looking for any familiar surroundings. The water dashes into my eyes from my hair every time I move, making it almost impossible to see clearly. I blink several times, trying to free my vision from the blurred filter that frustrates me. I’m soaked from head to toe. My clothing is plastered to my body, weighted down by the liquid. The water comes up to my knees, but I don’t understand where it came from.

            I’m in a large square room; all of the walls are white. There are two glass doors on either side of the room, and I get the feeling that I’m not alone. My body is convulsing as I shiver, and my jaw is in so much pain from my teeth clattering together.

            It’s so cold.

            I rub my hands together, trying to create some kind of warmth – but it does me no good.

I’m too wet.

I have to get to the doors. I have to try to open one of them, knock – or yell. There has to be someone. I couldn’t have gotten here alone; this has to be some kind of set up. None of it makes any sense.

            Lifting one leg at a time, I tread through the water. Each step takes everything in me, once I lift my leg it’s as if another notch of energy is being thrown into the water to drown. After what feels like an hour, I make it to the first door. I use my soaked hands to feel the surface for any knobs or handles. Nothing.

I push and scream – slamming my whole body into the flat reflective surface.

Nothing.

 I see my reflection in the mirror. A hopeless expression mars my face and I can’t help but to run my fingers along the black makeup that runs down my cheeks.