Chapter 42 - the funeral

"George! George where are you?!" I rush out of the bedroom and throughout the burrow, my heart races wildly in panic and concern. "Molly! George is gone!" I burst into her bedroom awakening her, for the first time I saw a flash of pure fear in her eyes as she scrambled out of bed. "He's not in the house, I've searched everywhere!" I start to hyperventilate, my balance wavers and I feel the world around me slow down.
The next thing I know is I've collapsed against the wall, tears and all rushing down my face.
"What happened?" Molly begs for an answer as she kneels in front of me.
"I don't know, we had an argument last night but he was fine, well he wasn't fine but he was acting the usual way when we went to sleep. I woke up and he was gone!" I splutter out trying my hardest to get to my feet to continue searching.
"Okay, okay! Arthur and I will search here, I'll get Ginny and Ron to search outside. You go to the shop, it's going to be okay sweetie. We'll find him!" Molly assures me however I'm not so sure she believes that herself.
I vigorously nod my head, of course he'd go to the shop, I disapperate within a heart beat.
I stand outside the shop in diagon alley in nothing but some cotton shorts and a sweater, I stagger forward reaching for the door desperately trying to get inside.
I abruptly halt when I spot George throwing around his own products, I watch as if his whole body is in slow motion.
Love potions are scattered on the floor, boxes of sick sweets thrown from the shelves, fireworks are tossed over the shop and whole towers are knocked and broken.
George still has restless bed head, dark circles highlight his watery eyes and sweat shining on his pale skin.
"George!" I call out rushing forward, he doesn't stop, not until I grab his arm causing his head to turn so quickly it could've snapped.
I stare up at him with desperation and plead, "George, what are you doing? I thought you left, I thought you vanished..." I keep my voice on a low, I pull myself up on the counter top so I can be level with his face.
George moves in between my knees and rests his forehead on my shoulder, wrapping his arms securely around my back.
"I want to wake up now..." George whispers, his encloses his fingers around my wrist as I brush through his hair.
"George, this isn't a dream." I close my eyes exhaling a lonely sigh.
A few days later (give or take)
I'd like to say that today the weather reflected our moods but it didn't, the sky isn't stormy and dark nor is it sunny, a light loom of clouds hover above our heads and the wind is a gentle breeze that simply caresses our skin.
This morning I had to practically pull George out of his nightmare, he was whimpering and bawling his hands on his pillow but when he finally did wake I had to convince him that it was going to be okay today. That was the harder part.
I made him shower then I took out his suit, I pressed my palm against his cheek, his inconsolable eyes met mine as he tried his hardest to show some sort of emotion; the corner of his mouth twitched trying to smile but it was clear he couldn't.
Now we all stand silently in the kitchen sipping on coffee waiting for Ron to finish getting ready.
I stare down at myself, even though it's warm I still wear a long sleeved black dress to cover my arms, my own mark makes me feel uncomfortable so having it on show would be outrageous especially at Freddie's funeral.
When we reach the service, I stand beside George, hand in hand staring down at the coffin that lay only a few metres in front of us.
Carved on the coffin is a W, that's the same for the grave stone and I quickly flick my wand to create a bouquet in the shape of a W.
The coffin is open, our Fred still, dressed in a suit, eyes closed as if he were sleeping. It's like some cruel joke he's playing on us, any second now he'll jump up and piss himself laughing.
I lean my body weight against George and I lift my head ever so to see him with tears in his eyes and a hushed voice murmuring for his brother to wake up.
"Freddie...please..." George is almost silent as he mutters, tears taunt my empty eyes.
One by one we step forward saying our goodbyes or leaving flowers that will be planted on his grave when he's buried, I go just after Molly who spent a good ten minutes with her son. She brushed her hand over his head, placing a kiss on his cheek, tears freely falling down her own face however the slightest smile tugs on her lips.
She stood like that the whole time, not saying a word until Arthur finally pulled her away and she sobbed in his arms.
I warily stand beside the open coffin,
"Why'd you leave us, Freddie? Your brother misses you, I miss you. It's hard to believe but I keep thinking you'll open your eyes and say it's all some twisted joke but I also know that won't happen. Please look over George, he still needs his brother to keep an eye on him. I'm so sorry this happened, I'm so so sorry. If I could've done anything I would've. I know it's too late now but just remember that I love you, you were the family I never had. You and George." I keep my words quiet therefore no one can hear them but Fred, even though I know he probably can't even hear them from wherever the hell we go after death.
I lean down pressing my lips against his cold forehead, a longing ache torments me and I pull away only letting one tear drop fall as I quickly wipe away the others.
George passes me as he goes to see his twin.
My heart breaks when George bursts out in tears, resting his head on his brothers chest as he kneels beside the coffin.
I faintly hear him beg for his brother to wake up, to come back, to stop being an idiot and just get up.
George defiantly takes the longest but eventually he stands up and walks away.
There were a couple speeches, Molly was one of them, George was offered but he declined knowing he wouldn't make it all the way through if he spoke.
I was another...
"Fred was one of my best friends, he and George were always there for me when I needed help or needed someone to have some fun with. Some of my best memories, no, all of my best memories were with the twins. They made my life so much better and when I met Fred and George I felt like I had a family again. Fred and George were attached at the hip and that's why my most favoured moments are with both of them, that's why it's going to be so hard to have to continue our lives without you, Fred..." I turn my attention to Fred instead of everyone else. "...I'm sorry you had to die and I'm sorry that you'll never get to live your life to the full in your body but you will get to live on with us, inside us because no one truly leaves us as long as we have those memories that we cherish so much. And Fred we have so many memories that we cherish because of you. Fred I'm going to try my hardest to continue, because I know you didn't die in vain and I know you probably fell with a smile on your face 'cause Freddie that's the kind of person you are! We all love you, Fred, only if you knew how much you affected our lives. So what if sometimes you were a pain, you need that pain to remember that they're there. You never failed to make me smile, and we'll all miss our first in command trickster as you always used to call yourself. There's only one thing left to say Freddie, that's mischief managed." I walk away, my damp cheeks and stinging eyes are just like everyone else's.
We wait around as the last few words are said and Fred is lowered into the ground, my heart sinks as I realise that, right there was the last time I'll ever see Fred in the flesh ever again.
George looks numb when people start to leave, he keeps his eyes locked on the fresh earth that is keeping his brother safe.
We wait around until it's just our family left, I hold Ginny against me as she silently mourns.
George stands in front of me with his hands in his pockets, I can't see his face yet that's probably for the best.
"We should go home." I break the silence, the others agree with me, they take their last look before disapperating.
I take George's hand, he doesn't move therefore allowing me to disapperate.