Chapter 39 - the truth

"How long have to had the dark Mark?" Harry lifts my sleeve revealing it.
"It was forced upon me the day Dumbledore died. But I had known it was going to happen sooner or later." I explain staring down at my reality,
"How?" Harry keeps his wand firm in his hand as if I was going to attack him any moment.
"It all started during the triwizard tournament, Bellatrix lestrange is my cousin, she was sending me letters that no one knew about. Ever since that I had nightmares, but it was just the dark lord getting into my head every night." I don't dare look into anyone's eyes, I can feel the pure worry and hatred radiating of several people in the hall.
"So this whole time, you been hiding from us?!" Harry says almost in disbelief.
"I didn't want this, Harry. For some reason he likes me, he favours me, he wanted me on his side!" I defend myself.
"Why?!" Harry raises his wand ever so slightly, I look up anger bubbling inside of me.
"I don't know! All I know is he thinks I'm strong! Harry, this whole time I've been protecting you! Why the sudden distrust?" I raise my voice, my throat tenses and I start to shake more with nerves than anything.
"Last time I checked I didn't go around trusting people who had the dark mark on their skin!" Harry snaps at me, I scoff and shake my head.
"After all this time, after everything I've done for all of you." I throw my hands into the air with frustration.
"All those times you'd been 'visiting' the others, you lied, you were visiting him." Hermione steps forth, I stay silent not bothering answering that one."We almost died on several occasions because of death eaters and snatchers!" Hermione yells at me.
"And I almost died because I was protecting you! I have risked my life plenty more than you! I have been tortured, beaten, strangled, thrown, and much more for you, for all of you. I admit I am not the same girl from the triwizard tournament, not any more. However I am still the same friend." I feel tears fill my eyes. "I can see that all of you will never look at me the same again, you may not even see me again because next time I see the dark lord I will most likely be killed for even more treachery" I spin around making sure I get a good last look at everyone. "I understand why you are all worried and scared, believe me I have witnessed what the dark lord can do. But if you just accept that I am not with him no matter what I have on my arm then you'll understand why I am like this." I go to walk away from Harry, I hear him sigh and everyone moves out of my way. "I'll be back, if I'm not I'm dead." I mutter.
I stop in front of Fred and George. "Please forgive me for hiding this, I love you both very much." I touch the boys faces before disapperating from the room as I feel the dark lord summon me.
"About time, Cleo." Voldemort glares at me as I stand beside Bellatrix.
"I won't fight with you." I grumble, Voldemort slowly turns to face me.
"Then you'll die." Voldemort goes to raise his wand but a sudden glow distracts him.
I watch as a protective barrier surrounds Hogwarts, I smile widely and my heart lifts.
This may not stop the dark lord but it will most defiantly slow him down.
All Harry has to do is destroy the remaining Horcruxs.
"They never learn, such a pity." Voldemort chuckles menacingly.
"My lord, shouldn't we wait." A death eater I do not know brings attention to himself.
Voldemort ignores him and orders us to begin.
Nearly every death eater fires at the barrier but me, Voldemort grabs me by my hair yanking me to my knees.
"I said begin!" He growls, holding his wand against my neck, I grimace at him not even bothering to show my wand let alone use it.
"So be it." Voldemort throws me to the floor and presses his foot down on my back keeping my face pressed against the earth.
Blood gushes from my nose from where I landed on it, I try and push myself up but the strength in the dark lord is more than expected.
Only a few moments later I feel the pressure release, Voldemort steps back gasping almost in pain.
The signal a horcrux has been destroyed, however all of a sudden Voldemort sends his wand forth, the power from the elder wand brings down the shield.
That's my cue to disapperate back to the others. I land in front of professor Mcgonagall,
"Cleo!" She proclaims, I rush past her.
"He's coming! Where's Harry?!" I rush forward, I call out Harry's name only to crash into Luna.
"You're looking for Harry?" She asks, I nod my eyes scanning every corner. "He's in the room of requirement." She informs me, I thank her then disapperate outside.
I spot Draco with his friends,
"Back off Draco! What do you think you're doing?!" I hold my wand up aiming directly for Draco's face.
"I could ask you the same thing." Draco snarls,
"Draco, I'm not going to hurt you but I will hurt them." I gesture to his companions.
"Go on then. I'm actually surprised you're not dead yet. With all the treachery you've performed." Draco goes to move but I quickly disarm Goyle as a warning.
"Well at least I'm not a coward, honestly Draco I thought more of you." I spit out blood that has dripped onto my lips, Draco tightens his grip on his wand and with that I knock Blaise off his feet.
"One last chance, Draco. Get out of here and leave Harry alone or you'll be next." I warn, Draco laughs harshly in my face.
"Stupefy!" Draco casts, as I deflect his spell what I didn't notice was Blaise gained back his balance and casts the same spell.
I fly backwards falling unconscious.
When I wake I notice the room is on fire,
"Bloody hell!" I scramble to my feet, I notice Hermione, Ron and Harry flying on brooms carrying extra weight.
Draco and Blaise.
Draco and Blaise run off, Harry lunged forward sending the Basilisk tooth into the horcrux.
A large explosion of black mist appears and Ron kicks into the fire.
I push Ron backwards when the fire transforms into three faces of Voldemort heading straight for us.
Just as it reaches us the door closes sealing the burnt room.
I kneel down in front of Harry taking his face in my hands,
"Harry?" I keep my voice low, Harry looks up at me his breathing shaky and fast.
"The snake. She's the last one. It's the last horcrux." Harry informs us all, I wince moving away when my arm pains.
"Look inside him Harry, find out where he is. If we find him, we find the snake." Ron pleads, I turn to Hermione.
"He wants me. He's summoning me. I should go." I stare down at the dark Mark.
Hermione nods.
"Stay safe. We'll try and be there soon." She hugs me tightly, I disapperate to the boat house where he awaits me.
Lucius arrives just as I do.
"My lord, might it be less, uh, might it not be more prudent to call off this attack. Simply seek the boy yourself." Lucius suggests,
"I do not need to seek the boy, before the night is out he will come to me! Do you understand?!" Voldemort spins around to Lucius and I.
Voldemort slaps Lucius.
"Look at me. How can you live with yourself, Lucius?" Voldemort hisses,
"I don't know." Lucius whispers, his voice is as weak as his knees whenever he's around the dark lord. Fear is a powerful thing.
"Go and find Severus. Bring him to me!" Voldemort demands, Lucius is almost too quick to fetch what is wanted.
"My lord, he won't come to you. Its Harry Potter we are talking about, Harry Potter does not give up and he does not give in."I keep my head held high,
"You say that with too much confidence, my child!" Voldemort grabs hold of my jaw, his finger nails cause me great pain and he soon has me on my knees but I keep my eyes on his. "I'm surprised I haven't killed you yet but then I realise I need you." Voldemort tosses me to the side just as Severus enters.
Severus eyes meet with mine for a brief moment before he faces the dark lord.
"My wand does not work, Severus, do you know why?" Voldemort barely greets him as he enters.
"You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my lord, in the last few hours alone." Severus argues.
"No! I am extraordinary but the wand resists me." Voldemort walks towards Severus with Nagini beside him.
"There is no wand more powerful, Olivander himself said it. Tonight when the boy comes, it will not fail you I'm sure of it. It answers to you, and you only." Severus assures the dark lord that the wand is his.
"Does it?" Voldemort questions.
"My lord?" Severus furrows his eyebrows with confusion.
"The wand, does it truly answer to me? You're a clever man, Severus, surely you must know. Where does its true loyalty lie?" Voldemort continues.
"With you, of course." Growing tired I answer this time.
"The elder wand cannot serve me properly because I am not its true master. The elder wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner. You killed Dumbledore, Severus. While you live the elder wand cannot truly be mine. You've been a good and faithful servant, Severus. But only I can live forever." And with that Voldemort flicks his wand harming Severus.
Severus hits the floor.
"No!" I cry out, Voldemort sends the back of his hand across my face. I lick my lip and touch my now cut cheek,
"Nagini, kill!" Voldemort orders, I bring my knees to my chest and wrap my arm around them as I watch Nagini attack Severus.
Tears stream down my face and I shake violently, Nagini bites and slashes at Severus neck several times.
"And you, Clementine. The next time I see you, I expect you to have Harry Potter in your clutch." Voldemort stares down upon me, I turn my head to face Severus once more.
That's when Nagini and the dark lord disapperate.
Harry, Hermione and Ron all run inside.
"You were out there the whole time?" I croak, Hermione nods her head and Harry sits in front of Severus applying pressure to the worst of his wound.
I watch a tear fall down his face.
"Take it!" Severus chokes out, "take it! Please."
"Give me something! Quickly, a flask anything!" Harry begs, Hermione pulls out a small bottle for Harry to capture Severus teardrop.
Severus mutters something to Harry before we watch the life drain from his body, his last sentence being "you have your mothers eyes."
On the spur of the moment Voldemort's voice pierces everyone's mind.
"You have fought valiantly but in vain. I do not wish this. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity. Harry Potter, I now speak directly to you. On this night, you allowed your friends to die for you, rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonour. Join me in the forbidden forest and confront your fate. If you do not do this I shall kill every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you from me." Voldemort then leaves our heads.