Chapter 40 - the final battle

It takes a while to reach the castle with me weak clinging onto Hermione and Ron.
I can't help but gawp at the destruction this battle has already made.
"Where is everybody?" Hermione asks.
"Inside. Maybe." I cough clearing my throat, I can feel my cheek swell up which makes it hard to speak but fortunately it's not much, hermione quickly uses the repair charm on me.
We enter the castle to see bodies everywhere, dead and alive.
I push myself off Ron and Hermione rushing forward towards the Weasley family.
George is sobbing horrifically, Molly is hunched over a body.
I cover my hand with my mouth when I spot Remus and Tonks, I shake my head tears filling my eyes then turn to see the other body.
"No! Freddie! Fred! No!" I scream bursting into tears, George wraps his arms around me crying with me. He pulls me backwards burying his face into my hair as I stare down at the body.
My heart crunches and cracks, my eyes darken and waterfall. "Freddie." I cry out finally collapsing into George's arms.
I clutch onto George's jacket and rest my face on his chest,
"Fred! No! It's not fair! It's not fair!" I cry, George nods his head gripping onto my tightly.
"No! No!" I stare down at the twin, George falls to his knees and sobs into my t-shirt.
I place my hands on George's head, I can't imagine the pain he's feeling right now.
Molly meets my eyes, she looks almost empty, she's lost one of her children.
I didn't even get to say goodbye properly, Fred's like my brother and now I feel a piece of me being ripped away.
"I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry." I whisper, George keeps his arms wrapped around me and simply cries.
I pull Ron in and touch his forehead with mine before he falls down to his no longer alive brother.
"This is my fault, I should of been with you two. I should of stopped it happening." I mumble, George shakes his head.
"There's nothing you could've done." Molly tells me, I wipe my tears away and pull away from George.
The twin lays there still, pale and spots off blood and wounds cover him, Fred looks so peaceful, but we know truly he's gone. Someplace better, without us, too early.
I close my eyes sniffling, George takes hold of my hand his faint sobs still audible. That's when something else hits me.
"Where's Harry?" I spin around. "Give me the marauders map! He can't go to the forest!" I take the map away from Hermione.
I spot Harry in Dumbledore's office.
I take off in a high speed sprint to reach Harry before he does anything stupid.
"Harry! What are you doing?" I ask crashing into him.
"I have to go, I have to." Harry pushes past me, I trail behind.
"You can't, he'll win the war if you do!" I bark at Harry with more fear in my voice than anger.
"And If I don't we will all die." Harry argues, we hurry down the staircase to find Hermione and Ron sat at the bottom.
"Where have you been?" Hermione asks standing up beside Ron.
"We thought you went to the forest." Ron admits, Harry takes my hand dragging me through the two teenagers.
"I'm going there now." Harry corrects them.
"Are you mad?! No! You can't give yourself up to him!" Ron exclaims, Harry stops standing still as do I.
"What is it Harry? What is it that you know?" Hermione moves towards us, I frown staring at the young boy.
"There's a reason I can hear them, the horcruxs, I think I've known for a while but I think you have too." Harry mentions, Hermione bursts into tears although I just lower my head.
"I'll go with you!" Hermione cries.
"Kill the snake, and then it's just him!" Harry orders his voice demanding and firm. Hermione throws herself into his arms. "Cleo will take me, if she doesn't do as she's ordered then she'll die, so she'll take me. The rest of you stay here." Harry explains, I sigh miserably.
"If I don't make it back, tell George I love him. And tell Molly thank you." I face Ron, he nods then I return to Harry's side.
"Let's go." I intertwine my fingers in Harry and we walk in silence all the way to the outskirts of the forest.
Harry pulls out the snitch reading it quietly 'I open at the close'
"I'm ready to die." He speaks more to himself than to me.
He presses the snitch to his lips like he normally would to open it however this time unlike before the whole snitch opens.
"The resurrection stone." Harry takes hold of it.
"What can you see?" I ask, Harry looks around.
"My mum, my dad, Remus, Sirius." Harry tells me.
"I'll give you a moment." I walk away allowing Harry to talk to whomever.
I lean up against a nearby tree until Harry rejoins me.
"Ready?" I send Harry a small smile.
"Ready." Harry smiles ever so slightly back.
"I'm going to miss you, Potter." I squeeze Harry's hand then we continue deeper into the forest.
I hear the dark lords voice.
"I thought they would come." He murmurs disappointingly.
That's when Harry and I show ourselves.
"Cleo, I had no doubt you'd finally give in to me and bring the boy." Voldemort smirks a wicked grin, I move off to the side where Bellatrix stands.
"Harry?! Cleo?! No! What are you doing here?!" Hagrid bellows.
"Harry Potter, the boy who lived come to die." Voldemort raises his wand cautiously, my heart suddenly starts to race as the tension builds. I wince waiting for the words.
"Avada kedavra!" Voldemort casts the curse, it hits Harry sending both of them to the floor.
I scream loudly as Harry's dies before my eyes but with one word I'm sent to the floor writhing in pain from the Cruciatus curse.
"Keep her there!" Bellatrix shrieks hurling herself to tend to Voldemort.
Unbearable pain shoots through every inch of my body, I know this curse too well.
Moments later Voldemort regains consciousness however Harry stays there lifeless.
"I don't need your help!" Voldemort pushes Bellatrix away.
Then sends Narcissa to check on Harry.
"He's dead." She informs us.
I feel a tear roll down my cheek as the curse continues to torture me.
"Stop." The dark lord orders, I fall weakly to the ground.
"Bring her with the boy." He smiles widely, he can't wait to announce his victory.
One of the death eaters takes me by the hair dragging me along the floor, I scream and thrash around all the way to the castle ground.
"Who is that?! Hagrid's carrying, Neville who is it?" Ginny urges forward,
"Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort announces, Ginny bolts forward screaming but Arthur keeps her back.
"Silence! Stupid girl!" The dark lord casts Ginny backwards.
I fall limp as I'm left no longer being dragged, Bellatrix kicks me forward.
I stagger over to the others, George catches me holding me upright.
"Harry Potter is dead. From this day forth, you put your faith in me." The dark lords grin grows by the word, "Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort brags once again. The death eaters behind him only laugh, Bellatrix's voice sticks out most to me. "And now is the time to declare yourself, to come forward and join us or die!"Voldemort opens his arms as if he's welcoming us. "Clementine? Why don't you be the first to officially convert. If you do all will be forgiven, if you don't your fate will be similar to Potters." Voldemort stares directly at me, I feel George pull me closer to him.
I stand my ground.
"I must admit, Cleo, even though you are far by my most favoured follower you are the most disappointing." Voldemort snarls.
"Draco!" That's the next name we hear, Lucius calling his son to join them.
"Draco, come." His mothers voice is softer, and Draco simply does as he's told.
"Ah! Well done, Draco! Well done!" Voldemort greets Draco with an embrace.
Unexpectedly Neville hobbles forward.
"Well I must say I had hoped for better." The dark lord teases, a chorus of laughter from behind him supports that.
"And who might you be, young man?"
"Neville Longbottom." Neville introduces himself which once again earns giggles from the death eaters.
"Well Neville, I'm sure we can find you a place in our ranks." Voldemort is quickly interrupted.
"I'd like to say something!" Neville raises his voice, Voldemorts smile drops but he allows it anyway.
"Well Neville I'm sure we'll all be fascinated to hear what you have to say."
"It doesn't matter that Harry's gone. People die everyday! Friends, family. Yeah, we lost Harry tonight, but he's still with us. In here..." Neville touches his heart, "...so's Fred, Remus, Tonks. All of them. They didn't die in vain! But you will! Cause you're wrong! Harry's heart did beat for us! For all of us! It's not over!" Whilst Voldemort seems most amused by Neville's speech, he suddenly becomes worried as Neville reveals the Gryffindor sword!
On top of that, Harry jumps out of Hagrid's arms.
My eyes widen and I rejoice.
Some cowards from Voldemorts side decide to run for it as others start to fight.
"Everyone inside!" I beckon as spells fly about.
"We have to kill the snake!" Harry reminds me,
"You'll need this!" Hermione hands Harry the Basilisk fang.
"Neville!" I call out as he runs with the sword in hand towards Voldemort.
Voldemort sends Neville through the air landing back inside the castle.
I spot Bellatrix.
"Expelliarmus!" I yell, she deflects it.
She smirks.
"You're a traitor! You deserve to die!" Bellatrix throws a spell towards me, I deflect it this time.
"I didn't want this! You did! You're the one that got me into this mess!" I shoot another curse towards her.
"Voldemort should've killed you when he found out you were helping the boy!" Bellatrix cackles shooting the killing curse towards me.
I dodge it and send the same to her.
"I'll happily die saving my friends!" I cast another which she constantly deflects.
"It's such a shame I didn't kill that little boyfriend of yours maybe then you would've been more willing to join us!" Bellatrix sends twice the spell, I deflect it the first time but what she says distracts me.
I fly backwards into a wall, my vision blurs and I feel blood pump out of a newly made wound.
I watch Bellatrix hop up onto a bench, Ginny tries her best but fails leaving Molly to handle Bella.
"Not my daughters, you bitch!" Molly fights against Bellatrix, but Bellatrix meets her match and I watch her die.
George rushes over to me scooping me up and holding his jacket against the back of my head.
"Georgie." I smile reaching up touching his face, George has a sense of panic about him.
My vision only gets worst, everything but George is darkness, my hearing blocks as if I'm under water.
"I love you, George. You know that." I taste the horrid metallic liquid in my mouth.
George's lip starts to tremble as he nods his head.
"I know. I love you too." George brushes my hair away from my face, my hand flails and suddenly a beautiful noise makes its way into my head.
"Come on, Cleo! Stay with me! Voldemorts dead! He's dead! It's over! Stay with me!" George begs, the honest plead in his voice breaks my soul.
My eyesight regains it strength in time to see death eaters leaving and everyone celebrating.
George picks me up and carries me over so we can sit together as a family.
"Is she hurt?" Someone who I can't see asks George, he obviously tells her the truth. "I'll have her fixed up in no time." The person replies.
I close my eyes just before I feel something change.
Inside my body.

---

I bolt awake to see everyone around me smiling, George keeps me pressed up against his side.
"Good to see you're awake." George presses his lips against the side of my head.
I reach down and pull up my sleeve, I rub my thumb over the top of the dark Mark.
George simply pulls my sleeve down then rests his head on mine.
I hear him faintly mutter his twins brothers name.
My eyes close again and I try not to cry.
It's different now, there's just George.
I always used to get mixed up with Fred and George when I first met them but once George and I started dating I could tell easily who was who it was just something inside me that always told me. But now I don't need that and a part of me feels empty. Stolen away from me before you could say mischief managed.
Because now, Fred is gone.