Living With A Police Officer Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five

Drew’s POV

            I stand in the middle of my bedroom staring out the balcony window with my arms crossed and my heart breaking in my chest. My arms are shaking and I’m finding it hard to breathe. The only thing I see in my mind is her face. Tear streaked and pained. Her back as she runs away from me. The look on her face when she saw me reaching out to her.

            I squeeze my eyes shut as a stinging sensation nips at my eyelids. I lock my arms tighter around my body and throw myself out the cold empty bed gulping down the lump forming in my throat.

            I keep trying to convince myself that she’s not gone. That she isn’t the second girl to leave me. But this time; it’s different. Harmony means more to me then Addy ever did, then anything else in this world. And she left. She left without turning back. What happened to last night? The sweet words exchanged? Did she forget it all? The house I had bought? The hidden promise behind the house?

            I move my arms from their clenched position. My hand brushes across something cold and smooth. I stop moving my hand and turn my head slightly, spotting a piece of folded paper lying on my pillow. I take the paper in my hand holding it up.

            Drew.

 Is written in soft scrawl on the front. The familiar scrawl. The lump forms in my throat again knowing that this letter was written by Harmony. My Harmony. I brush my thumb gently across the lettering and slowly open the letter.

My vision turns blurry at the sight of the words covering the page. The sight of the water droplets amongst the writing breaks my heart even more. Harmony was crying. I brush my thumb across the water droplets focusing my attention back to the letter.

Andrew,

You don’t know how hard it was for me to turn away from you, to leave you. I watched the heartbreak on your face as I turned away from you even though you had come after me. I almost turned back, almost. But my reason for leaving you is much more important.

You promised to protect me from Blaine. You promised you wouldn’t get yourself hurt. You promised to come back to me. You promised to make me feel safe.

But you didn’t think once about yourself. About your safety. Your protection. How you would exactly keep yourself from getting hurt.

 I did. I thought about it the minute you mentioned Ian. I did. All of the times we had together were racing through my mind like a slideshow.

The memories I hold dear reminded me that your safety to me, is much more important then mine. So much more. I’d give up the world just for you to be safe. And I did.

I left my whole world on a beach right before a wedding. I gave you up even though my whole being was begging me not to.