Chapter 23

Professor T. Spooner had an uncanny resemblance to Will Smith only he didn't have any hair--not like natural baldness and I'm not saying Will Smith has no hair--he does. Professor Spooner shaved it all off and didn't have a styled short crop cut Will Smith has that always makes his hair looks like it didn't dare grow more. He wore a blue polo shirt with the school's emblem on the front left pocket that was tucked into a black belted tan color dress pants. He had on leather loafers that clomped as he walked around. "Ms. Shelly. Your packet for your mother," he pulled out of a drawer in his desk and handed it to me. He placed it on my desk and walked to the board. "Everyone pull out a sheet of notebook paper. Black ink only. Write the number and question on this board. Answer it in complete sentences. Three at the least per part. Names on the top right corner. Today's date below. Followed by class period. Once done, place it on my desk," he scribbled away on the board, the black magic marker squeaking with each letter. Everyone was quiet besides the sound of the paper rustling and zippers and clacks of binders. He had a total of ten questions, each with a part a, b and sometimes c.

Clack! He put the marker in the marker rack and faced us, glancing around with a neutral expression. "Your previous professor allowed you to fall behind. You will be playing catch up till we reach the point you're suppose to be before the humans are here. No talking. No notes. Ten minutes to finish, starting now." He clomped back to his chair and sat down, taking his cup of tea and getting another sip. I tucked the packet in the folder with the others. I ripped a paper out and dug around for another pen. My hand bumped into something cold and saw that it was another chilled bottle of water. I wrapped my sweaty shirt between my paper things and the bottle so nothing gets wet. Pulling out a black pen, I started the work, writing as quickly as possible. I remember these things from the textbook chapters and notes. It was also a refresher since I had taken an advance psychology course as an elective back at my old school. Hashtag--the mind is fascinating!

By the time I finished, my hand cramped badly and shook as I leaned it against the desk. Muscles creaked as I got up and placed my paper with the others. The professor never looked up from his newspaper. Hiroshi had already completed his way faster than any of us. When I walked back to my desk, I saw a lone paper folded in some note passing square and triangles. Hiroshi caught my eye and tilted his head at the paper. I collapsed back in my seat and placed the note under my desk to open. It was a half sheet of paper with just one sentence.

Gavril's got his hands full with you.

I bit my lips to stop myself from smiling. "Times up. Those of you who haven't finished, bring your papers forward. If I see another pen scratching away, I will tear that paper up in your face." Immediately, all noises ceased. A second later, stomping of feet went up to the front and everyone laid their papers in the pile before quickly going back. He took another sip of his tea that was still hot with the trails of steam. He stood up and used a magic eraser and wiped the boards clean. He started right into the lesson. Thankfully, I was prepared. I had a composition book opened to a clean page and used my black pen. He would write a word or a short phrase before talking at length on the subject before going to another. I would shake my hand every so often before continuing to take notes, while I used my other one to keep up. I'm able to write with my left hand but he was talking too fast, my left hand wouldn't be able to catch everything but it beats better than a section of nothing. Everyone focused on the lesson and didn't dare stray or do something different. We spent the rest of the class period writing like crazy before the sweet sound of paradise rang.

Professor Spooner finished his last thought before he turned and started to erase everything. "Remain on top of your homework. You'll regret falling behind or procrastinating." The only warning he said with his back turned before heading back to his seat once the board was clean. I gathered everything and pulled the bottle out, which was still cold and had water droplets running down the outside. "Gavril's always cold water," Hiroshi said as he stood next to me, blocking my view of the group of girls that were standing around and watching me earlier. I craned my neck up and frowned. "Is it just me or are all of Gavril's friends really tall?" I asked as I shook my hand out to get rid of some of the cramping. Hiroshi seemed to ponder this before replying.