Chapter 14

The white blinked out.

Shelly glanced around as she suddenly found herself in her room. Seeing herself in the mirror, she looked like a ghost being all transparent and colorless. "Why am I in my room? Hello?" she called out. No one replied. Looking closer, she saw a few discrepancies such as the pictures on a cork board hanging on the wall next to the desk. "I didn't have one of those on my wall...what's that doing there?" She walked up to it and saw that it was actually pictures of her Mom--Melinda. There were some of Melinda with some other girls. There were a few with the Chrys' and some that looked like her with Grandma Besley and...Grandpa James. Shelly didn't know much about him besides the little things her Mother would say and the handful of pictures Melinda had shown her when she was little. He was a Canis Lupus who moved to the Helvinski Territory from London, England. He found his Life Mate-Grandma Besley. He chose to stay in Helvinski Territory rather than move into live with them when Shelly was born. From her memories, Grandma Besley always rubbed at her wrists when she thought no one was watching. However, there were no markings around Besley's wrist that Shelly could remember. She always assumed that he had passed away and her Grandma just lived on. "Come to think of it...can Life Mates still live if one passes away?" Shelly murmured as she studied a family picture of three.

Grandma Besley looked younger. She had the long blonde locks with streaks of white and grey. Her brown-purple eyes were bright and wide. She looked so healthy and alive in the pictures. Melinda's hair was a deep blonde that she had cut short in a bob. In many of them, she had a mouth full of braces. She also had the popping brown-purple eyes just like Besley. Melinda liked to pose in the pictures, either winking or wearing sunglasses in many of the shots. James had shoulder length black hair and a scruff beard. He had wrinkles on his face and shiny blue eyes that glinted with mischief. Her Mom and Grandma both mentioned how her eyes reminded them so much of Grandpa James. It was even further true how she picked up on using the word oddities that James liked--and she was always up to no good. She could now truly understand why. Shelly felt a pang of longing, wondering what her Grandpa James was like as a person.

She looked around to see if there were pictures of her father, Lucas Baron, but there were none. Her Mom never found her Life Mate. She didn't have marks around her wrists. More like, Melinda has not found her Life Mate yet. She at least found someone she was in love with and wanted to be with for the rest of her life. That was Lucas Baron. The one thing that her Mom and Grandma agreed upon was her hair, optimism, and instinctive use of movie and book quotes-all came from Lucas Baron. It spooked her Mom because Lucas never met Shelly. Shelly was told that he passed away before she was born. Shelly only saw one picture of him and that was the wedding picture. He had lush dark brown hair and blue eyes. Her Mom only came up to his upper chest even in heels. In the picture, he looked down at Melinda with love while she beamed at the camera. Shelly couldn't ask to know more because her Mother would break down in tears every time she did. "Well there goes that idea," she sighed, not seeing any college aged guys up on the wall that were similar to her Father.

Crash!

"Holy bejesus!" she startled. It sounded like glass shattering. She walked out the room and down the unlit hallway. Light came from downstairs along with raised voices. She snuck down the stairs and stopped on the last step. Turning her head from side to side, she made out the voices to be in the dining area, right next to the sitting room. She slowly made her way over, still not clearly able to hear what was going on. There was broken glass shining and glittering on the wooden floor as she approached the dining room.

As she got to the opening, someone hurtled right through her, which made her start and stagger backward. The guy kept on stomping away, oblivious to her. "I guess I really am a ghost." She recovered and just walked up to the opening. In the room Besley, Heaton Chrys, Patrick, and some that looked to be from the TV show Once Upon A Time stood or sat around the long table. There was an actual woman dressed all in black and had the black pointy hat of the Witches on her head. Ruby lips and curly blonde hair framed her face. She sneered at Grandma Besley across the dining room table. A guy that was all muscles and brawn with brown, grey streaked hair had his arms crossed stood in a corner, frowning at the floor. Patrick stood next to the brooder against the wall, his eyes flashing silver then black. "Well that's just great, Besley. Don't you really think just ending this role wouldn't just solve all our problems? No human Gypsies doing all this paranormal stuff, no more problems," the witch hat lady sighed.