Chapter 2

I had knocked into a few people-possibly ran a couple into a column trying to get away from that Fae. I finally collapsed a few floors up, letting my bags fall all around me and the bench. People kept giving me weird looks but I was too busy trying to catch my breath. If this was the same situation as Casper, then, I have to stay as far away from him. The more contact we had, the stronger the mental communication thingy. But what was that mate thing anyway???

This isn't some mate thing. It's Life Mate. I groaned out loud, my head falling onto the palm of my hands. His voice was still just as loud...louder than what Casper's voice was like when his thoughts first echoed in my mind. "Why do I always run into these things? Where's Mom?" I dug through my pockets, finally grabbing a hold of my phone. I quickly texted her.

Me: Mom. HELP! SOS! I ran into Gavril Chrys. Now, he's talking in my head like Casper!!! Only, his voice isn't soft but loud already. He was spouting something about Life Mate @.@ Wat.Is.Going.On?!?!?!?!?

Mom: We'll talk later. You sure Gavril talked in your head???

I frowned. What's with this self doubt?

Me: Y-E-SSSsssSSSSs!!!! That's what he said in my head! His lips weren't moving at all!

I sent the text and sat back, throwing my head over the bench's back support. Sunlight glanced through the ceiling's windows. It took my Mom a while to reply.

Mom: Where are u?

I glanced around and saw the stores but didn't see what floor I was on.

Me: There is a little Dunk-N-Doughnut Cafe. A Ralph Lauren. Ecco. and Dick's Sporting Goods

Mom: Be right there.

I stuffed my cell into my jean's back pocket. Gathering the toppled bags, I set them straight and not all over the place. "Hey, isn't that the Gypsy girl?"

"What? They're already here?"

"Why is she wearing...that...old t-shirt? So ratty."

"Look at those shoes! Oh my G*d, are they poor or something?"

"Look at those bags though, maybe she's into weird sh*t." I picked at my nails, ignoring the conversations of those around me. I was still in my two day old Minnie Mouse t-shirt and the same ripped jeans. I love my sneakers, drawing all over them on my free time. When Mom said that she knew everyone and everyone knew you, she wasn't kidding. I didn't know these people but they sure knew me. "Shelly!" I turned and saw Mom walking briskly over to me. I got up and wanted to ask her the questions swirling through my head. "Not now, let's grab some take-out and head on home, 'kay Honey." I snapped my mouth shut and helped gather the stuff I bought. I still was missing some jeans-no thanks to that Gavril! You could always come back. Since it's my fault for scaring you out of the store, how about I buy a pair for you?

No thanks. Be quiet. Why are you still so loud in my head? I thought you went away.

No. I'm here to stay.

Whyyyyy?

You're my Life Mate. He said sounding a bit hurt. I felt a twinge in my heart from the sound.

Sorry. I don't know what this Life Mate is. I was so confused. This never happened before. When a psychotic mouse started talking to me, all I had to do was leave the area and stay away. Then, his voice gradually went away and I couldn't hear him anymore. Gavril's voice was so crisp and clear like he talking standing next to me.

I understand. My Father told me. I'll let your Mother talk to you before I talk to you more.

Er...Thanks. I felt his foreign presence hovering in my mind's periphery. We walked out of the mall and back to the SUV in silence. Driving off, Mom's hands twisted the steering wheel, like she was wringing a rag dry of water. We picked up some food from a drive thru before turning out of the town and back home. Mom never spoke a word, even when she stopped the car and opened the trunk to get some of the bags while I got the rest. Casper heard us come in, sitting up from his perch on the couch. What's with the awkwardness? I shrugged, putting the bags next to the grand staircase. Mom got Casper's food ready and placed it in one of his dishes. I got our burgers out and placed our drinks next to two chairs on the dining room table. Mom was still in the kitchen banging things around. Casper and I started eating. After halfway through my first burger, Mom came back in and sat down. She took a few bites before pushing her food away, taking a deep breath. "What has Gavril told you?"

"He just said that I was his Life Mate and not a mate...and that he's 'here to stay,'" I said making my voice lower and using air quotes. Mom tapped her fingers on the table before letting out another long sigh. "I was hoping to ease you in to this world but I suppose I can't," she ran a hand through her brown hair.

"Is this thing like the Australian best mates things? Like those meant to be comrades and never back stab each other can listen in to each other?"

"No...it's," she cleared her throat, "he's uh...p-paranormals don't have divorces, okay? So...Life Mate is more in that direction. He's uh...gosh but you're so young," she whined.

"WHAT?!" I was being driven mad.

"Quit what'ing me!"

"Then stop talking in riddles! Or circles or whatever and get on with it!" I threw my hands up.

"Fine! He's your husband!" she yelled. Everyone went silent to the point that you could hear the old clock in the living room ticking away. "You're cray-cray Mom, come on. Tell me the truth and not something for making me stop talking," I snickered.

"I am telling you the truth. In the world of paranormals, the way they find their other half is called a Life Mate. You can listen in to each other's minds. Communicate through mind speak. You'll also get markings around your wrists that are unique to only the pair of you. You've literally found your soul mate, Shelly. The other half of your soul finds most peace and happiness with his half and vis versa." I felt a shiver run down my spine. The burger I just ate made me feel a bit queasy. "You mentioned him before this. About him going to the same school as me. Did you set us up?" I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Oh no-that was all you. You ran in to him at the mall. I just know his Father and Mother well from when I was growing up. They were here far longer than most. Since Grandma Besley worked with them to settle disputes, I interacted with them quite a bit. Gavril wasn't born till after I left. He's the same age as you actually."

"I'm sorry...but...Mom, Fae are immortal so wouldn't," I struggled to voice my opinion.

"Sadly, no. It's harder for paranormals to have children. Sandri, his mother, suffered so many miscarriages...Gavril's their miracle. Though...it is unheard of of a Gypsy being a Life Mate to a paranormal. We're still human at the heart of things."

"I don't even know him, Ma. I suddenly go from never having a BF to having a husband???" As soon as the words were out, flashes of memories went through my mind. A little boy being dressed up and cooed over by a very beautiful lady. A toddler chasing around a very very huge wolf-I'm guessing a Canis Lupis. A boy having a birthday surrounded in by other little kids and a girl grabbing him by his collar, planting a wet one on his lips. "Ergh! That looked bad," I winced. There was an embarrassed feeling washing through me. Please forget you saw that one. I've been trying to excise it but seemed to have...failed. I laughed out loud, startling Mom and Casper. "Sorry just...okay I seem to have memories of Gavril growing up. It's...a bit disconcerting but um...what happens now?"

"Well...Heaton and Sandri know...I know...Casper knows...now usually there's a celebration of sorts but usually Life Mates don't find each other so...young. The two involved would have been at least more mature-not that you aren't mature or anything," Mom back tracked.