Chapter 3

"What usually happens when Life Mates meet? Did they freak like me?" I smirked, to let her know I was just curious.

"It would make things amusing, but no. They spend time together. The more time together, the more the marks around their wrists will gradually darken. The circle will darken a piece at a time. Once its a full dark marking around the wrists, then there will be a celebration for the pair."

"Ma, have you forgotten we will be in the same school?"

"Oh it isn't that easy. You have to communicate. Just being in the same area-pshh that's too easy. You'll have to interact," Mom waved her hands in the chatting motion before opening her burger wrap and eating it. You are still uncertain. What's all the fuss? You're making things so much more complicated than it is, Casper licked his paws. "It's not that simple. I may have memories of him but I don't know him. I'm just starting a new school. I was buying jeans-OMG JEANS! I DON'T HAVE ANY PANTS!!!" I scrambled up and rushed upstairs to my room. I searched the boxes till I spotted the one labeled clothes. I only had one shorts and another pair of jeans in it. "We'll go back to the mall tomorrow to buy some more," Mom came in behind Casper.

"Yeah...but you're staying with me. I don't want to run into anymore hocus pocus," I stuffed everything back into the box.

"Does that include zapping someone?" she said in the I've-caught-you voice. I flinched and gave her my innocent look. "Zap? A person named Someone? No I don't know a Someone."

"Shelly. Marie. Scher. You sure you want to continue this game?" Mom yanked my ear.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! I'm sorry Maaa!" I wailed. She let go and stood back up in a huff. "What have I told you about using magic like this?"

"I know...I just...she had that high I'm-so-great-hear-me-break-your-eardrums voice and kept pointing out to everyone that passed her that I was 'The Gypsy.' I got tired of people stopping to look and her voice yakking about me. The zap made her screech about other stuff," I explained, covering my ears so Mom wouldn't be able to yank on my ears anymore.

"Being back here will create a stir since we all left this place for years. Not many people, including paranormals, understand the extent of things Gypsies can do. Just give it some time. We're neither paranormals nor fully humans. I don't want to hear about these from Heaton Chrys again."

"Yes, Ma," I sighed. Just be more sly, like me. Getting caught is stupid. Casper added his two cents. I grinned at the cat and grabbed him, hugging him close.

"Awwww! There was a reason why I loved you on sight!" He merowed at me in protest, trying to get away. Even so, Casper never scratched me and actually felt embarrassed and happy about that. Sly kitty. Mom called us to come back down to finish our food and call it a night. We'll be going back to the mall early tomorrow so that she could buy her things and I could finish mine. We also had to buy stuff for the house too. "Mom, where did all this money come from? You worked as a secretary for that law firm but even this..."

"The Scher family worked and lived here for generations. As a result, we got a lot of money from our job and investments over time. After everything the last few years, we had to live under the radar for the Helsinki pack to sort things out. So, I had asked Heaton Chrys to watch our investments while we were in Florida. Now that it's safer, we can access and use it again."

"What was making it unsafe to live here?"

"It's nothing to worry about anymore. Past is the past." Mom abruptly changed the topic again. As for the Life Mate thing, Heaton wanted to talk to his wife first. As of now, they want me and Gavril to figure it out. She started to make a list of things we needed around the house. After cleaning up, we went to our separate rooms to sleep. Mom's in the Master bedroom since there was enough room for her to create a miniature office of sorts there for when she worked late nights. That way, when she crashed, she had her bed and not a couch or her chair, making her suffer from a kinked neck or aches the next day. Casper slept on his half set up cat tree. The other half was still somewhere in the many boxes. "Night twinkle toes~!" I hollered. Night loony. I let out a bark of laughter. I laid in bed, trying to get comfortable.

The moon shone through the windows. I thought over the stuff that's occurred. I looked over my wrists, wondering once the markings appeared, what it would look like. Our markings. You won't be the only one that will have them.

So you have been listening in to my musings. I tried thinking the words to see if he got them. It sometimes worked with Casper but not always. Some words don't have any meaning for him so the message sometimes gets lost, but, when spoken, he's able to comprehend it easily.

...I apologize. I try to give you your privacy but...your thoughts are...too interesting. What's hocus pocus? Oh! It worked! I had to stifle my laughter. He sounded so curious and desperate for the answer. Ever heard of Google?

I could...but I've got a feeling that listening to you explain it will make it sound better.

You mean the polite way of saying it'll be entertainment?

No. Special. May I know? I sighed. He sounded so proper. Made me want to corrupt him...hopefully he didn't get that thought!!! But it kind of made him endearing in a way. Teehee! Hocus Pocus was actually a movie title about three witches living in a place called Salem, Massachusetts. They were locked away because they wanted to become immortal. Years later, three normal kids accidentally freed them and they had to figure out a way to lock them back up. Ever since, the humans associate the words Hocus Pocus as doing magic.

Oh, I see. Interesting. Thank you for explaining.

You don't need to need to be polite.

Pardon?

Nevermind~ So, there is this interesting thing my Ma doesn't want to tell me about. I hinted. I automatically felt him become alert and edgy, which made me grin. He knew what I was talking about. I'm not at liberty to say. It's something my parents wish to just be. You'll have to ask them if your Mother doesn't want to talk about.

But you do know.

...Yes. Please don't ask me to tell you. I made a promise with my Father to not say.

Fine. Then...since you can listen to my thoughts, I can do it with you?

Yes.

Any sense of privacy?

Why would I want to shield my thoughts from my Life Mate?

Oh simple! Like for example, your Dad's telling you something that he asks you not to tell me, how will you not be able to tell me if no privacy?

...You are...yanking my neck.

Chain. Yanking your chain.

Fine. You just have to think of some barrier. That will block or muffle your thoughts for a time.

Cool beans! Thank you for the info!

I believe you are more...open to this?

I've calmed down from the shock, if that's what you mean. Though...if you're thinking of going to second base just because we're Life Mates, you better think again buddy!

What's this second base?

Don't you talk the talk and walk the walk???

Er...huh?

I can't believe I'm explaining this...what comes after a boyfriend and girlfriend are in a relationship for a while behind closed doors? I was blushing and I wasn't even saying anything untrue!!!

...OH! No! I wouldn't force such a situation-we'll go by your pace. Promise. I don't want to scare you away. Oh, well...I don't have to worry about that then.

Lets talk more later. It's getting late. I believe your Mother wants to do another shopping spree after the blunder that happened today. I hope you have sweet dreams and your jeans tomorrow.

Thank you~! And I hope you have nice jeans-I mean dreams! Bye Gavril!

I like how you say my name.

BYEEEE! I made a mental block like he said, but I think it's still flimsy since I could still hear his laughter.