XV

"Chloe," Beca's voice broke on her name. "Chlo, we need to talk." Beca forced out the words; she and her mom had just gotten off the plane, and her mom let her stay with the carry-ons, while she grabbed the luggage. "Please call me back. I miss you." Beca didn't try and tell Chloe her feelings. She knew she would utterly fail, and she'd rather do it, when she could either see or hear Chloe's reaction. Maybe the phone was a better option though; those blue eyes made Beca melt. The camp was apparently only an hour or so from Boston, but Beca wasn't ready yet. Heaps of children ages 5-16, the 10-16 year olds sleeping over, and she had to watch over them. During the day, she would have a 'music class' where she had to somehow wrangle ten and eleven year olds into a cappella performers. She had no idea how she was going to manage that, considering she had always handled choreography. Beca sighed, as her mom approached. This summer was going to be a long one, especially if Chloe didn't respond back.

"Everything okay bug?" Beca's mom was analyzing her facial expressions, handing Beca's duffle bag to her. Beca nodded, forcing the best smile she could. "Whatever it is, it will all work itself out." Beca's mom rubbed her shoulder as they went out to meet Beca's grandparents, the ones taking them to camp. Beca nodded, focusing all her energy on projecting a solid image for her grandparents whom she hadn't seen since her junior year of high school.

"Chlo?" Aubrey peaked her head into Chloe's room. "Chloe, I made pancakes." Chloe barely lifted her head.

"No thanks," she mumbled into her pillow, rolling over. She didn't want to get up yet. Besides pancakes reminded her of a better time.

"Chloe Marie Beale! No pancakes? Who are you and what have you done with my Chloe?" Aubrey teased lightly, trying to turn her friend's mood.

"Bree..." Chloe trailed off, she didn't know what to say. How could she have been so stupid? Another day had passed, and Chloe hadn't gotten over what she said. Hesitantly, she pulled out her phone, she hadn't checked it since mid-afternoon the day before. New Voicemail from Beca. Chloe groaned a little. What if Beca was breaking up with her? "Will you listen too?" She showed the screen to Aubrey, who nodded. Slowly, Chloe maneuvered into the 'Phone' app and clicked on voicemail. With a quick breath she pressed the 'play' and 'speaker' buttons.

"Chloe" Beca's delicate voice cracked, breaking Chloe's heart a little more, "Chlo, we need to talk" Beca's voice was soft and nervous, a tone Chloe had never really heard before. "Please call me back," her voice was desperate, she paused, and "I miss you." Beca whispered the last part. Chloe was expecting an "I can't do this anymore" or an "I love you" but neither of those things came. Chloe fidgeted nervously, what the hell did 'we need to talk' mean.

' "I'm an idiot." Chloe mumbled, when Aubrey snatched the phone and swiftly deleted the voicemail.

"You know what Chlo, you are an amazing human being deserving of so much love and if Beca can't see that than that's her loss. You pinned over her for a year, she tried and she was too scared. You shouldn't give her anymore of your time." Aubrey channeled her protective streak. Neither Aubrey nor Chloe had great relationships with their parents, which they had bonded over freshman year, but now Aubrey just wanted someone. Someone needed to recognize how bright Chloe's light shinned. Chloe was so loving, something her parents often discouraged, because it didn't matter the person's gender. All she wanted was someone to love her back, and Aubrey knew it. Aubrey could only do so much as a friend.

"Bree..." Chloe whined a little. The little time she had with Beca had been so different than with anyone else.

"No arguments, we're going out tonight." Aubrey said firmly. Chloe had to laugh.

"Because that worked out soooooo well last time..." Chloe shivered at the last time she and Aubrey went out to the club.

"I won't leave you this time." Aubrey said matter-of-factly. Chloe let her head tilt back, she knew she couldn't win this one.