Fallout

Chloe liked Fall Out Boy. She wasn't a mega-fan, but she could jam to most of their songs. Chloe didn't; however, like fallout in general. She had managed to go the whole plane ride with little reaction. Her brothers teased her for about twenty minutes about her relationship with Beca, but nothing was all that mean. Her mom shot her glares for about ten minutes, but eventually everyone got bored with Chloe, which Chloe was aye okay with. The flight wasn't exactly peaceful though. Chloe's stomach was in knots thinking about Beca. She had never been the lying type, she never saw herself cheating on anyone, especially Beca. Chloe had been absolutely smitten with Beca, how could she have done this. You waited so long, then she let you down. Aubrey's words haunted Chloe. In the end, her blond best friend had probably been right. She had pinned so long for Beca, and fallen so fast that when Beca hadn't said 'I love you' back, Chloe spiraled. It wasn't Beca's fault though; it was her own. Her 'peace' lasted until the moment; their bags hit the floor at home. Much to Chloe's protest, her mom insisted Chloe stay with them for least the night.

"What the HELL are you thinking?" Chloe's mom almost-yelled, causing the boys, Arthur, and Clara to disperse into their respective rooms before they could become a target or hear more of Mrs. Harper's explosion. Chloe attempted to stay calm, toying a piece of paper in her hands.

"What do you mean?" Chloe asked, keeping her voice steady. She knew what her mom meant, but she refused to escalate to her level, she didn't want to be seething when she had to talk to Beca.

"You know what I mean." Mrs. Harper growled at Chloe's attitude. "You dating that girl! It's a sin Chloe!" She spat the word 'dating'.

"She makes me happy." Chloe said flatly, knowing that they'd had this argument before.

"Why can't you just find a nice boy?" Mrs. Harper whined to herself. "I talked to Father Miller, and he told me of a great therapist, who can help you stop feeling this way," Chloe's mom brainstormed ways to make her daughter 'normal'.

"Mom, I don't need therapy, or anything," Chloe sucked in some air, "but I need my family. I need support," Chloe could barely breath, "Dad," her mom flinched at mention of her father, "Dad's okay with me being me, so if you can't be," Chloe was sure her hands were shaking, "I'll just spend holidays with him." Chloe stood up. "Now if you excuse me, I'm going to text Aubrey to come pick me up, so you and Arthur can discuss having me around." Chloe swung her duffle bag around her shoulder, trying not to see the hurt in her mom's eyes, and trying desperately to stop the tears that threatened to spill out of her own.

Beca had meant to call Chloe the day Chloe left that worrisome message, but she kept making excuses. Beca kept telling herself that 'She's probably still up in the air' or 'She'll be too tired to talk now,' but Beca knew she was just procrastinating. Things were relatively good with Chloe. The reunion was good and the goodbye kiss took Beca's breath away. She got that Chloe's family wasn't that supportive, but they were from Georgia, not the west coast or New England, what did she expect? Reluctantly, Beca picked up the phone. Her campers were all enthralled in some book that Isla's big brother had brought (hopefully it's not inappropriate). Ring. The nerves in Beca's stomach grew. Ring. Everything was fine it had to be. "Beca?" Wrong. Chloe's voice was different.

"Hey Chlo, what's up?" Beca tried to keep her voice cheery and calm.

"Beca." Chloe repeated, her voice cracking. Not good, very not good. Beca panicked, walking out the cabin door.

"That doesn't sound so good," Beca forced a laugh, "What's this big thing you need to tell me?"

"Beca... Oh god, Beca" Tears started rolling down Chloe's cheeks, and Beca could tell. The frailness of Chloe's tone made Beca's heart hurt.

"C'mon Cloe, out with it." Beca didn't mean to word it like that, but God was this waiting game making her so much more nervous.

"Beca, after that last night at Barden," Chloe was near sobs. "I'm so sorry."

"What about that night?" Beca squirmed, thinking about the night they more-or-less broke up.

"I fucked up." Chloe paused, wiping away the tears that were falling. "Aubrey and I went to the club." Beca's heart dropped. Chloe at the club was not good news. "And... and I ended up hooking up with another girl." Chloe sobbed. Beca was numb. Chloe hooked up with another girl. Chloe kissed another girl. Chloe made out with another girl. Chloe slept with another girl. You guys basically broke up, and you broke her heart that night. She probably just needed an outlet. One side of Beca's mind argued. But you guys never officially broke up and she supposedly loves you. Who says 'I love you' then goes and sleeps with another person. Another side argued. God, do I want to comfort her. One side argued. Shut up. The other two sides shouted at the last. Beca figured it had only been a couple seconds, but Chloe thought it had been hours before Beca responded, but it was only a few minutes.

"Okay." Beca managed to say.

"It was meaningless and incredibly stupid and I know you can't forgive me." Chloe said, desperate for Beca to say more than 'okay'.

"I should go," Beca said turning to the cabin, "the girls need me." Beca worked to eliminate the hurt that was pushing tears out of her eyes.

"I'm so sorry Beca." Chloe whispered.

"Bye Chloe." Beca hung up the phone, wiping her eyes. Make it stop! She thought. She hated crying anyways, but if her campers saw puffy eyes or tears they would probe Beca, and Beca wasn't capable of dwelling on what Chloe had just told her. Never in her life had there been a stable relationship in Beca's life. Her friends came and went quickly, her parents divorced when she was young, and were fighting years before the divorce, and she never kept a boyfriend for more than a few weeks, if that. Chloe had been the first person Beca thought about keeping around, romantically and friend-wise. Now everything changed- or maybe it didn't- gah, Beca didn't know. A chorus of ten-year-olds shouting her name jolted Beca from her thoughts.

"Beca, can we go to the music room?" Georgie asked.

"Beca I want to show you a song I learned on piano!" Isla exclaimed.

"Beca can you play piano?" Campbell demanded. Gosh Beca was glad that she had finally learned to see Campbell as a different person from Chloe.

"Beca will you sing for us?" Linda demanded. It seemed like all of a sudden, all of her girls had the burning need to be around music. Beca happily complied; after all, music had always been her escape.