XVI

How Beca got the one camper with curly red hair and green eyes, she would never know. Little Campbell Harper was ten years old, staying over at Birch Hollow Camp for the first time and in Beca's cabin. But it didn't stop there. She spent most of the day with Beca. Breakfast was done in cabins, then the first class of Beca's day was Campbell's a cappella group. They got a small break from each other, when Campbell took swimming lessons and Beca taught a class on mixing music and DJ'ing, but after, Beca was the TA in Campbell's art's and crafts class, a personal bane of Beca's existence. Then it was lunch that was done in cabins, and free time. Evidently the little ginger and her cabin mates had taken to like Beca, so they spent it wherever Beca spent it, which was usually down at the archery range. The girls did a couple rounds while Beca hung out with Tyler, her only friend here. She got another break from the young girl when she taught an evening class having to do with advanced vocal shit, not that Beca thought she could teach them all much. The rest of the night was all with her cabin. It was bittersweet, though, when the girls crashed at 8:30. It gave Beca way too much time to stare and her phone and wish Chloe would text her back, but at the same time Beca loved the alone time. Whenever Beca laid eyes on Campbell, her brain focused on Chloe. A week had gone by and still no response.

Chloe had no idea what the f*ck she was doing. She hadn't spoken to Beca since she'd left for the summer and now it seemed like she was with another woman. Aubrey had taken her out, and like she promised stayed by her side the whole time. Chloe had, though, found a girl at the bar. She was twenty, home from college and looking for a party. She also, indecently, was short with brown hair, and her name was, Sarah, Chloe thought. She hadn't realized that this whole thing was going on until; they were sleeping together the night before. She almost moaned Beca, and realized that was the face of the small brunette she imagined. She had shoed Sarah away this morning and told her, she didn't want to do this anymore, whatever this was. Now, she had been fiddling with her phone for twenty minutes, trying to summon the courage to call or text Beca. "Hey Becs, sorry I haven't texted; I've been spacey." Chloe typed, then deleted; it didn't feel right. "So what's up Beca?" Chloe sighed and deleted the next attempt. Screw it she thought. "Sorry." Chloe settled on the simple message. She hit send before she could regret it.

"Aubrey!" She shouted, knowing that the blonde would be listening, she was worried.

"Yes?" Aubrey was in Chloe's room in seconds.

"Movie night in tonight? Just you and me?" Chloe proposed. Aubrey looked like she was about burst with excitement.

"YES! I've got popcorn and like five movies, you can pick but we can watch more than once. Chlo it'll be like a sleepover, but in our living room I'm so excited!" Aubrey trailed off, just excited that her friend was coming back to her, and for a moment, Beca wasn't the most prominent thing on Chloe's mind.

"Sorry." Beca grumbled. "Sorry. What the-" she cut herself off before she could swear, "heck does 'sorry' mean?" All five of her girls were still shooting their bows, but they were in earshot and Beca was trying to be a good influence, at least on Campbell, who was a budding talent.

"Excuse me?" Tyler smiled, looking over at Beca, a beer in his hand. If his parents didn't run the camp, Tyler would have been fired a long time ago, but they do and he's nineteen and needed a summer job, like Beca.

"Oh, sorry," Beca blushed a little, "just this girl," she faltered on the last word. Despite coming out more or less as bisexual, Beca still wasn't super comfortable with the whole dating girls thing.

"Oh yeah? She cute?" Tyler teased, leaning over to try and read the text. Beca grinned, nodding; she was oddly comfortable with Tyler. Not in the same way as Chloe, but a similar different way. It was confusing.

"She said she loved me before I left and I didn't say it back..." Beca sighed, "I left her a voicemail asking to talk and she just texted me, 'sorry'" Beca massaged her temples; she just wanted to be on good terms with her probably ex-girlfriend, and hopefully not ex-friend. After all they would have to see each other at Bella's rehearsals next year, since Chloe didn't graduate.

"Maybe she jumped the gun and knows it." Tyler offered as Campbell and Isla, Campbell's best friend and cabin mate at camp, put down their bows.

"That's the thing though, I wanted to say it back." Beca said, completely enamored with the image of Chloe in her mind.

"You got it bad Mitchell." Tyler teased as Campbell and Isla entered the little tent the two counselors were sitting in.

"What do you have badly?" Campbell asked, plopping down on Beca's lap, making Beca wince. Just because she let Chloe invade her personal space, and was starting to let Tyler, didn't mean she liked being touched.

"She's in looooove" Tyler teased as Harper maneuvered herself into his lap. Both girls laughed, not noticing the slightest hint of Beca's blush. It had been a week, and Beca was starting to get used to the new normal, but she would never get used to not having Chloe Beale in her life.