ch.43 World War III

I looked around the room at the spread out cluster of men and women in business suits and cocktail dresses.

Harry and I fit in nicely, if not better; we looked timeless in a way, like we didn’t and couldn’t belong anywhere, not in any specific time period. Harry was from the Middle Ages, where noble knights roamed the earth. And according to Harry, I was supposedly not even from this earth, but from a higher place in the sky.

Harry cleared his throat uneasily. His fist was still clenched. The waiter had struck a harsh and delicate chord with him.

I rested my hand over his.

Harry looked up at me slowly.

“Harry, just ignore him” I said casually. I didn’t want to make it seem like a big deal so that it would be easier for him to just let it go.

Harry exhaled loudly.

“We can go someplace else” I offered. I didn’t want to stay if he was going to be grumpy and self-conscious every time that man or anyone else at the restaurant gave him dirty looks for not having more digits on his paycheck than on his hands.

“I should have known” Harry said with a light laugh.

I leaned closer to him, unsure and slightly confused by his sudden change of emotions.

He looked up at me and the candle-light flame glinted in his eyes. The flame was golden, but not the pure gold that were deep in his eyes.

“You look like you walked off the runway and I look like I stole you off that runway” he laughed quietly to himself.

“Harry-”

He set his menu down.

“No, it’s true. Everyone in this room has given me dirty looks because I’m with you” he told me equally as casually.

“Dirty looks?” I questioned. Yes, maybe the men were, but not the women. The moment Harry strolled into this room with his chaotic curls, broad shoulders, dense fists, and hard, marble-like eyes- every pair of panties in this room had gotten a tad wetter.

“What about the blonde behind me” I said as I looked at Harry and scratched my head in her direction.

Harry glanced over my shoulder for a moment and saw the busty blonde with thicker blue eye shadow on her eyes than was in a tube of paint

“She’s been winking at you this whole time” I told him.

Harry just sat there and shrugged his shoulders, completely oblivious to the woman.

“Or the curly red-head with her boyfriend. Her cheeks are redder than her hair” I spoke calmly.

Harry glanced at the red-head. She looked away immediately and focused on her boyfriend instead.

“Or the-” I started to point out the brunette behind him, but he cut me off.

“Ok, I see your point” he agreed with me and then looked down at his menu.

Slowly, but surely a sneaky grin slithered onto his face.

“Are you jealous?” he asked slowly. He leaned closer and looked into my eyes, hoping for me to blink or look away in embarrassment. But I did no such thing.

I looked straight into his eyes and answered nonchalantly.

“No” I told him and I picked up my menu and started browsing through.

He lowered my menu slowly.

“Yes, yes you are” he answered for me.

Then he leaned real close and rested his elbows on the table.