ch.53 Daddy said...

Danny clenched his already tight jaw and stared at Harry. Then he looked down at me and he sighed slowly.

“Come in,” Danny spoke slowly. He looked at me first before turning his attention to Harry.

Harry and I took a seat at the couch. Danny sat opposite us- fists clenched together, legs apart, ready to pounce at the word “go.”

Harry cleared his throat.

I hid my ring hand in Harry’s. Danny hadn’t noticed it yet, but I wanted to get a few words in before Danny grabbed my hand and threw the ring back at Harry.

“Danny” Harry began steadily.

“Yes?” Danny asked slightly impatiently.

“I know you’re probably still mad at me about before” Harry acknowledged. I thought about Becky’s little scheme. It would be easy for me to say that I didn’t care where she was right now, but then I’d be lying and I’m a horrible liar…

“Damn right” Danny huffed.

“Danny-” I spoke up.

Danny glared at me momentarily. But he turned his attention back to Harry and continued to burn into his skin with his dark brooding eyes.

“But we’ve been best friends for a while now, Danny” Harry reminded Danny.

Danny swallowed hard. Those softer emotions were picking and prying at his rock-hard shell as they tried to escape.

“And you know I respect your opinions and wishes…and warnings” Harry told him honestly. “Especially when it comes to Angie” Harry specified and he held his other hand over mine.

Danny tensed up again and glanced at me briefly. Then he sighed slowly and nodded.

Harry took his moment of silence as permission to continue. I swallowed hard; I hope it’s not the only permission he gets by the end of this…

“Danny, you know I care a lot about Angie” Harry spoke slowly. He glanced at me and squeezed my hand slightly. I made sure the ring didn’t show through just yet.

Danny looked from Harry to me.

I knew he realized the honesty of Harry’s feelings towards me and mine towards him, but he still had a small, but poisonous seed of anger. Part of that anger was from me not being a kid anymore and the other bit was because the man I wanted to spend my life with was Harry, his best friend. But there was also something more and I couldn’t tell what it was yet, but there was definitely something else eating at Danny’s stone-hard gut.

Harry looked into my eyes for a moment, as if I could give him the strength to continue that way. Then he turned back to Danny.

“Danny, I would like your permission to marry Angela,” he spoke steadily and confidently.

I wiggled my fingers through Harry’s and let the ring show through carefully.

Danny’s mouth hung open about a half foot lower than mine had when Harry has asked me the question. He stared down at the sparkling ring and looked more terrified than angry by the small, but very meaningful and valuable object.

“No,” he shook his head violently.

My heart sunk in my chest.  But it also tightened; it didn’t matter what Danny said. I could love whoever I wanted and I wanted Harry.

I heard Harry’s heartbeat die down. He was even more disappointed than I was; I knew how was hoping coming to Danny and asking for his permission might help his chances instead of us sneaking off behind Danny’s back.