ch.59 Knight and Day

I took the dress off and the Mannequin-lady wrapped it up without a word. It was clear that it was the dress, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Gemma held out her credit card for the Mannequin lady.

“Wait, Gemma” I spoke up and held out Danny’s card.

Gemma shook her head.

“No, the bride doesn’t pay for the dress” she reminded me. “She just wears it, gets every girl jealous and makes every man want her” she winked.

“I will buy it for you, bella” Vince spoke up.

Gemma and I turned around to see Vince holding out three different cards for me to choose from.

“No, I can’t accept that” I shook my head.

“Well at least take this” he insisted and held out his contact information. 

I looked down at the card: “Vincenzo’s Modeling Agency.” I started to decline him again, but Gemma took the card.

"Please do call, bella, with your natural talento and my camera, you can afford every dress in this store" he told me and he opened his arms out ot indicate the seemingly tempting array of expensive gowns.

I nodded slowly, but clearly hesitantly.

"Thanks for coming, Vince" Gemma grinned and she came close to Vince and they kissed each other's cheesk casually. 

Vince leaned closer to me and kissed my cheek softly.

"Good luck, bella" he whispered. 

"Thank you" I smiled shyly.

"She'll call you tonight" Gemma reassured him.

Vince nodded and looked down as he bowed before us like we were Kate Middleton's sisters.

"No, I-" I started to protest, but Gemma swiped her card, put Vince's card in my bra and tugged me along. 

She led me over to Harry's truck and I gasped. Harry. He had no idea where I was.  I pulled out my phone and started to dial his number, but I was a moment too late.

"Angela!" a hoarse voice growled more worriedly than angrily.

I turned around hesitantly and saw Harry panting slightly. He was bent forward slightly and his hands rested on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. Did he run all the way to the store?

Gemma put the dress into the truck as if not having heard Harry at all.

"Harry, I was about-" I tried to explain and I geld my phone as part of my excuse.

Harry took one steady stride toward me and let his breath relax enough to speak angrily.

"Angela, are you ok, baby? Are you hurt? A-" Harry asked as he scanned me up and down for any signs of physical damage.

"Harry, I'm fine" I smiled and I took his hand in mine as I tried to calm him down.

"Angela, why didn't you tell me where you went!?" he demanded. 

"I'm sorry, Harry. I should have called-" I started to apologize.

"You scared the hell out of me!" he admitted angrily.

I looked down at my stupid phone. Why hadn't I called him earlier? I may have snuck out with Gemma, but I should have at least told him where I was once I left.

"I'm so sorry, Harry" I apologized again, even though it was a useless apology.

"You-you left and Gemma was gone and my truck was gone and I was afraid something horrible had happened" he admitted. He held my hands tightly in his like he was reminding himself that I was alive and well and in his arms.