ch.57 Cover girl

Harry muttered incoherently under his breath as he and Danny loaded Gemma's bags into Harry's truck. Harry looked just as likely to throw Gemma's bags into the sewer as he was likely to throw it into the back of his truck. 

"It was nice seeing you again, Danny" Gemma smiled warmly.

Danny opened his mouth to respond, but no words came out so he just smiled and nodded.

Gemma laughed lightly.

'You haven't changed a bit, Danny" she shook her head and bit down on her lower lip.

Danny's dark brooding brown eyes light up momentarily. Gemma could have bene teasing him or she could have meant what she had said- as a compliment. Danny took it as the latter.

I stood there watching Danny fists tighten as his naturally violent personality fought the soft tenderness of his heart.

Harry cleared his throat angrily.

I squeezed his hand, urging him to relax.

Danny went back inside and Harry reached to the passanger seat and held it open for me.

I shook my head and gestured for Gemma to sit there.

"Go ahead, Gemma" I smiled. I wasn't trying to be a kiss-up but Harry and Gemma really had a lot ot catch up on the car drive would be a good chance to try to erase the grudges from yesterday.

Harry glared at me as I had asked him to sit next to a poisonous cobra. Gemma immediately picked up on the discomfort on Harry's part and she shook her head.

"Oh, I'd much rather sit with you, Angie" Gemma smiled and took my hand.

"Ok" I smiled shyly. I liked Gemma, but she was still clearly intimidating, not only from her looks, but from the fact that she was Harry's sister and the only remaining member of his immediate family. 

"So  besides becoming a woman, what have you been up to Angie?" she asked me casually. 

She leaned close to me and rested her chin in her palm. Her eyes were eager and round, like Harry's except they were framed with longer, thicker lashes.

"Well" I began slowly and I looked over at Harry. He glanced back at me

"Besides falling in love with my dorky brother" she waved a hand motioning to Harry as if he were some side character in my life when in fact he was the star.

I looked down into my lap. The only really memorable part of my life was Harry. I had lost everyone else important to me and Harry was the first person I had truly shared all my secrets with, the only person I could be truly comfortable with.

"I'm a freshmen at NJ State" I told her. School was always the next best conversation filler.

"Ooh, college girl, eh?" she winked.

Harry cleared his throat loudly.

I nodded slowly.

"Well if you can have any rich frat boy, what are you doing with this criminal?" she teased.

"Love you too, Gem" Harry smiled sarcastically.

"Love you, Hazzy poo"

Harry grew red almost instantaneously.

My chest tightened.

Gemma may not have been here to see Harry's criminal offenses after he killed their father, but she was smart enough to know that Harry woulldn't be released from Juvie without some kind of scaring.