Chapter 36

Episode 12: Borne Back Ceaselessly Into the Past

I entered the Agency, staring at the ground.

I saw Kyouka and Atsushi standing there, talking about something with Dazai.

I had a massive headache.

I sat down at my desk, avoiding eye contact with Kunikida.

I heard Kunikida's voice, "Hey, Dazai. Give me a relief about your Mafia ordeal already."

"How about rock, paper, scissors over it?" Dazai smiled.

"No! Write it yourself!"

"Atsushi. Let me teach you how to write a report today." Dazai smiled at him.

"Uh..after that?" Atsushi raised a brow.

"Hey, this is about you too."

"Huh?" His eyes widened.

"I'm talking about the villain who placed a bounty on you."

I looked up, curious.

"You know who it is?" Atsushi asked.

Dazai set a paper on the desk, "According to the Mafia records I found.. It was sent by the Guild. A group of North American skill users."

The Guild?

"They actually exist? I thought it was just an urban legend." Kunikida pushed his glasses up. He began yapping and yapping about them.

I wasn't even listening.

Does that idiot ever shut up?

My computer didn't even have my daily report yet.

Darn.

Suddenly, Junichiro ran inside, "Guys! Bad news!"

I could hear a loud sound from outside.

Huh?!

We were all crowded around the windows now.

Isn't that called..a helicopter?

It landed in the middle of the street. A blonde haired man walked out with some other guy and a pink haired girl.

The blonde smirked.

"Ah, I see they seized the initiative, eh?" Dazai smirked.

~No One's Pov:~
Fitzgerald sat in a chair across from Fukuzawa in his office.

"What a joy to meet you, Mr.... Fukuna? Fuzuka?"

"It's Fukuzawa." Fukuzawa looked serious.

"Yeah, that! By the way... That parking spot for my helicopter wasn't bad, was it? I've never had to take it to an office before."

"I certainly appreciate you coming here from foreign lands. What brings you here?"

Naomi set a cup of tea in front of Fitzgerald.

"What brand is this?" He observed it, "Royal Franc? Or El Zerga, perhaps?"

"It's from the Mura Ceramics next door." Naomi spoke sassily.

"Oh. My apologies." He seemed uninterested now, setting it back down. "My name is Fitzgerald. I run a little group over in the Americas we call The Guild. I also have personal interests there too. Three conglomerates, five hotels, a major airline, a rail company-"

"Mr. Fitzgerald." Fukuzawa cut him off, "I hear word you used a bounty to tempt the Mafia into attacking us."

"Ah! That was a little mistake of mine. I had so little idea that organized crime in this nation was so unreliable! By a way of apologizing, I have an offer for you." A case was placed on the table between them, "This isn't such a bad place. Not as many stories as you would like but the cityscape is pretty enough." He opened the case, "I'd like to buy your company.

Fukuzawa's eyes widened.

"Don't get the wrong idea." Fitzgerald smiled. "I could have anything outside of that window if I really wanted to, but I have no interest in it. There is one thing though..."

"You don't mean.."

"I do! I want your license to operate a company using special skills permit! In order to lead a company in this nation with skill users..you must be licensed by the Home Affairs Ministry's Special Ability Agency. Those crusty fossils are hard as stone! It is after all, a secret agency. It's not supposed to even exist. So, if I want to conduct a certain search here... I need that license."

"I refuse."

"Then I'll add this watch." Fitzgerald tossed a watch. He then smirked, "I also want something else too."

"Whatever it is, you won't have it." Fukuzawa glared at him.

Fitzgerald smirked, "I want Y/n L/n."

Fukuzawa's eyes widened once again. "What?"

"Keep the rest of your members, I really don't care anymore. But we want Y/n L/n."

"You want my employee?"

Naomi's eyes were wide. She stayed silent.

"As you may know, her ability is capable of many things. A pandemic, the end of the world, even more than that! Besides, her ability is useless in your Agency anyway. She would be way better off in the Guild. She's not even Japanese, so why have her-"

"She is not a bioweapon." Fukuzawa's eyes were dark with anger.

"Whatever you say. Look, I'll double my first offer. Or must I triple?" Fitzgerald sighed.

"She is not something to be bought and neither is my permit." Fukuzawa spoke bitterly. He was furious.

"So you believe there's things money can't buy. Only common for the poor to believe." Fitzgerald's face became a glare.

"Get out!"

Naomi looked at Kenji, "Kenji, escort our rude guests out."

"Of course!" Kenji smiled, "Right this way!"

Fitzgerald began walking before he stopped. "One more thing, Fukuzawa." He looked back at him with a crazed smile, "I always get what I want."

~Y/n's Pov:~
I was organizing some files on my desk. I saw the members of the American organization, "The Guild", walk out.

The blonde man..I believe his name was Fitzgerald.

He made eye contact with me and smiled. It wasn't a smile that I liked.

I stared back at him.

He and his two workers left with Kenji. He was probably escorting them out.

Something is off about that man..

Naomi walked out of the office, wide eyed, "L/n!"

I looked at her.

She ran over to me, "That Guild is bad news! Very bad news!"

"What? Why? Because what they did to Atsushi?"

"Not just that...he wants our business permit, and you!"

Everyone in the Agency looked at us.

"Y/n?" Dazai raised a brow, putting a hand to his chin. "Makes sense."

"Why would they want me?"

"Your ability." Dazai spoke casually. "Wouldn't be surprised if they were still having their eyes on Atsushi."

"What exactly happened in there, Naomi?" I looked back at her.

"Fitzgerald was talking about how you're better off in The Guild, and how he was willing to double his first offer for you, maybe triple! President Fukuzawa got mad though and began popping off at him." Naomi explained frantically, "I got scared so much by that atmosphere, I was about to jump out of the window before a fight broke out! The President was furious!"

My eyes were wide with shock.

Junichiro spoke up, "There's no way they'll get their hands on Atsushi or L/n. There must be something we can do."

"It's fine now. The President scared them off." Naomi smiled. "They probably will never bother us again."

I nodded.