29

“What is it?” came my harsh reply as I stood by the door, unmoving, eyes clashing with Rayne’s golden brown ones with an intensity I didn’t know existed

“What is it?” came my harsh reply as I stood by the door, unmoving, eyes clashing with Rayne’s golden brown ones with an intensity I didn’t know existed. Now to think of it, I never paid much attention to her eyes. I could see the specks of gold dotted around them. In those eyes, was the warmth of an everlasting hearth as if they were the wood that could burn with golden flame yet be forever perfectly entire.

I could see glimpses of her shattered innocence, the pain she had endured throughout the years, the burden she had to bear. In all that, she still manages to emerge as a strong woman despite all she’s been through. I should feel concerned or sympathetic but my heart was as black as the darkness within me.

“What—What are you doing here?” Her voice is rasp, soft—scratchy because it hasn’t been used for a while. “And where—where am I?”

I don’t answer mainly because I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this was my second failed attempt to take her life. The first time, I chose to let her rot in the river and now, I deprived her of oxygen. I knew deep down that if I don’t get rid of her, she would ruin me for eternity. And somehow I always seem to falter when I'm given the opportunity.

It makes me wonder what is it about her that makes me want to bend my vile nature and rules to her will?

She confuses me and I hate it.

The sound of the door opening jerks me out of my thoughts. Nellie accompanied by Kamol entered into the room, on sighting me, Kamol remained by the entrance at my side while Rayne’s daughter ran towards her mother with tears flowing down her cheeks.

"Mom called." He says, keeping his eyes glued to Nellie who begins to ask her mother how she was doing and tell her all sorts of emotional nonsense.

I don't react to his words. That woman was fucking predictable. All her actions never took me by surprise. I had been married to the woman for four years. They were the worst years of my life, I tell you.

"She wanted to speak to you about something important and she insisted you give her a call." He adds, looking up at the side of my face as my gaze remains rooted to the face of the woman that's giving me so many problems.

"Do not tell me such things, Kamol. Anything pertaining to your mother  is irrelevant to me." I speak in a rigorous manner, straightening out my tie with a hardened jaw.

He frowns but doesn't respond which is a very wise decision on his part. My body still writhed with rage that's forcefully trying to claw its way to the surface and I do not want him to be at the receiving end of it.

Hesitantly, I ask, "Any word from your brother?"

Kamol freezes.

He probably didn't expect me to ask about the well-being of my other son. He is right to be shocked by my sudden....concern. I don't blame him. I barely have time for either of my children since I have.....well.....been an absentee father considering the fact that I disowned them years ago and later revoked it.