28

The cigarette butts gathered around in an ash tray and the three empty bottles of tequila that stood at the foot of the table spoke volumes of the catastrophic emotions I couldn't wait to unleash

I was unusually calm which is very unlikely for a person of my caliber. When I'm full of unquenchable rage, it's normal for me to explode and everything around me to be reduced to smithereens. I'm ruthless and merciless—and that's been established a long time ago.

Seated silently by the huge mahogany desk, I lift my crossed legs on the neatly polished desk and leaned back comfortably in the chair. I take out another cigarette stick from the pack I retrieved from the tray and lit it up with a lighter, bringing it to my lips, I take a long drag of the cigarette and slowly let out the intoxicating smoke.

It's been an hour since I left the hospital, leaving behind Kamol to keep Nellie company and Wayne—with a couple soldiers—to watch over them and guard Rayne's room just in case the man responsible for the shooting doesn't return back to finish the job.

Though I'm yet to know the identity of the soon-to-be dead man who had the guts to shoot Rayne.

While I pour myself another decent amount of tequila, Kane assembles all the men who were on duty during that time range—when the unknown man shot Rayne without getting caught—right before me. All of them stood still, head raised up high and faces devoid of any emotion but yet, I could detect the fear in them—could smell it even. And fuck, it was so satisfying.

With the cigarette sitting lazily at the corner of my lips, I stood up to my feet, twirling the glass of tequila as I approached the group of prettified men, each of them not daring to make eye contact with me. Kane stood right at the door awaiting further instructions.

“Care to explain how someone could exercise such a task in a place that’s heavily guarded by highly trained soldiers—and not just any soldiers—my soldiers. Do you see how pathetic and humiliating that sounds?” With the drink positioned in one hand, I take the cigarette between my thumb and index finger and took a long drag from it.

The one in charge, Marcus, takes it upon himself to answer, beads of sweat gathering on his forehead as he tries to maintain a calm composure but failing miserably. “I know, boss, and I apologize on behalf of everyone under my command. We didn’t expect —” He stops spitting out such bullshit when I raised my index finger for him to keep quiet.

I stop right in front of him and blow out the smoke in his face. He blinks rapidly, brows raised up high and pulled together. “You see that’s the problem, Lieutenant.” I tilt my head to the side after sipping my tequila. “You underestimated one of our enemies. That’s pretty irresponsible. Don’t you agree, Kane?” I turned to Kane who stiffened at the sound of his name but answers regardless.

“Yes, boss.”

I return my attention back to Marcus, a tiny smirk playing at the side of my lips. “You lost guard and the rest of these incompetent fools followed suite in your idiocy for a split second—and that was all it took for the shooter to take out a fucking gun and shoot Rayne Horton.” My voice rose with every word I spoke and before I know it, a humorless chuckle springs out from my lips. I slammed my fist down on the table causing them all to flinch and take a step back. “And worse—he wasn’t caught. He wasn’t fucking caught. The bastard evaded you cunts. Goddammit, Marcus!”