19

I can feel the blood pounding behind my eyes, the water filling up my lungs, my body fighting for every last bit of air

I can feel the blood pounding behind my eyes, the water filling up my lungs, my body fighting for every last bit of air. My breaths were agonizingly painful and short, and I knew I was going to pass out any moment from now. The fact that I was slipping in and out of conciousness and the blood still gushing out from my gunshot wound didn't help matters at all.

Knowing myself quite well and the shit I've been through, It's going to take alot more than this pathetic situation to take me down. I have a very high tolerance for pain. This is merely a child's play.

I am a beast; the fucking devil. It's going to take a lot more than this to bring me down, to break me, to wound me. And I never go down without putting one hell of a fight.

The car is tipped upside down putting me in a very uncomfortable positon. The doors are jammed which makes my chance of freedom very slim.

I turn my head to the side with great difficulty to see Rayne, unconscious. She seems to have sustained a couple of injuries which needs immediate care. I look away from her and force my brain to think of something; a way out, before my body eventually gives out.

My eyes catches sight of something next to Rayne's shoulders. I extend my uninjured arm and reach for the gun, letting out a groan at the weight I put on my wounded arm. Wrapping my fingers around the handle of the gun, I bring it closer to me and direct it at the target, pulling the trigger multiple times until the bullet runs out.

"Goddamnit....this....this....bulletproof glass." My attempt at speaking causes icy-cold water to flood into my mouth, my throat burning as if a thousand needles has been plunged into it. I need oxygen.

The glass had some violent cracks on it from the bullets and my failed attempts to punch it earlier so I just need something stronger. I suddenly remember Kane keeping a sledge hammer underneath the passenger's seat just in case of emergencies, like this. That motherfucker.

I carefully search under the seat, avoiding staring too long at the unconscious woman next to me. Relief surges through me like a flame. I grip the hammer and smash it so hard against the glass. As expected, it doesn't break. I hit it again....and again....and again....and again. I lost count of how many times I hit it until it finally breaks.

My lips struggle to form a smirk at that little victory.

I push with my arms and legs as hard as I can to swim out of the vehicle, a trail of blood following behind me as I do. Once I succeeded in doing that, I cast a glance at Rayne. I don't feel anything as I stare at her face, her lips, her closed eyelids, her body.

She can as well perish for all I care.

Deep down, I knew I still needed her for my personal gains. But do I really give a damn? This is the golden opportunity I've been waiting for to finally get rid of her and I would be a complete fool if I don't seize it.

With that in mind, I leave her there to rot without feeling any remorse whatsoever.

As I swim up to the surface with the little bit of strength I have left, the water gushing down my lungs causes a surge of intense pain to ricochet off my ribs and around my torso, but me being me, I persevere. My legs kick viciously through the water to get to the shimmer of sunlight rippling on the water above. My lungs were basically screaming for air at this point. My body begged for me to give out but I don't.