23

Aran was quick to pull me to his side when we grazed the venue with our presence

Aran was quick to pull me to his side when we grazed the venue with our presence. I tilt my head up to look at the side of his face, wondering what is going through his mind as he wraps his arm possessively around my waist and shoots glares at every man who eyes me with interest.

He didn’t say a single word to me throughout our entire ride here and he barely spared me a glance. I know I’m beautiful but did I really look that bad in this dress? He didn’t even offer me a compliment. Not that I’m upset about it. Me? Never. Or maybe. Just a little.

“Now listen to me carefully,” He begins, stopping a waiter who passes by and takes two glasses of champagne from his tray, handing one over to me. “This is a business event but that doesn’t mean it’s safe to wander around. This place is crawling with people that are associated with the mafia and that means they are gonna have their eyes on you and probably abduct you if the opportunity presents itself.” He utters the last statement with a nonchalant shrug, tossing the content in the glass into his mouth in one go.

My eyes widens in shock. “And you brought me here?”

“Of course.” He answers, calmly, not once looking bothered by that known fact alone. “So don’t leave my side. As long as you’re with me, everything is going to be fine.”

“Aran.” A man walks over to us with a smirk and a glass of red wine in his hand. He seemed to be in his late thirties and had brown hair that was combed to perfection and beautiful green eyes. When his smirk broadened at the annoyed look on Aran’s face, I notice his silver tooth. Aran also has one but I don’t see it that often because the man barely cracks a smile or talks that much.

“Lorenzo.” He speaks curtly and stops another waiter, exchanging his empty glass for another glass of champagne while regarding Lorenzo with a look that indicated he wasn’t in the mood for any silly conversations. Lorenzo ignores him before his eyes widens in confusion when he sees me and then surprise.

I look at Aran, expecting him to introduce us or something but the man pretends like I don’t exist and continues to drink his wine silently.

“I’m Rayne Horton.” I say with a warm smile and extend my hand for a handshake.

He returns my smile with a grin and wraps his huge hand around my small ones, giving it a friendly shake. “And I’m Lorenzo Santini. Nice to meet you, Rayne.”

“Okay, that’s enough.” I hear a low growl of disapproval next to me before I pull my hand back and drop it at my side with a glare directed at Aran. I drink my champagne and watch as they converse about business with Aran giving a monotonous reply.

The event was mainly based on close interactions with entrepreneurs and business owners in order to grow and improve one’s business, and network with each other. Some are looking to merge their business with others when it suffers from bankruptcy and while others aim to seek for contract.