12

"Did she by any chance visit me while I was asleep?"

"No, Marely." A sigh left my lips. That was the answer I supplied any time she asked me questions about her daughter. The little shred of hope I saw in her eyes extinguished- and the sadness in them resurfaced.

I swallow back the tightness in my throat and hand her a glass of water so she could take her pills.

"Any calls?" Marley ask, slipping the pills into her mouth and taking small gulps of the water to avoid choking.

"Same as last time." I help her get under the covers and watch with a heavy heart as she released a slight cough and turned away from me.

My heart breaks for this weary woman. I yearn to give her some sort of hope to hold onto even though I know nothing is never that easy.

Zoey-Marley's daughter-has never once visited her mother ever since she was admitted to the hospital. Marley was diagnosed with pneumonia a few months back and hasn't showed any sign of recovery.

In a way, her situation reminds me of my broken relationship with Nellie.

It makes me wonder....that....if I ever find myself in this kind of condition, will my daughter abandon me? Or will she set aside her hatred and be there for me when I need her?

Letting out one last sigh, I walk out of the room and hurry over to the locker to get my things. My shift was over. Normally I would stay an extra hour and assist the other nurses, but this time, I needed to get home and mentally prepare myself for my next meeting with Aran-and possibly come up with an idea to avoid this hell I seem to find myself in.

My butt still felt sore from the spanks I received from him. It makes it hard to sit down and I've been struggling with that since my shift began. I ignored the tiniest part of me that liked every second and minute of that punishment. It did things to me that I will never acknowledge.

After I've informed Audrey that I was leaving, I step out of the hospital and abruptly come to a halt at the sight of a black Mercedes Benz parked in front of the building. The dark tinted window rolls down and I find myself gasping out loud upon seeing the man seated by the steering wheel.

A cigarette is nestled between his lips, one hand leans on the window and the other takes off his dark shades. "Get in." He orders.

"Excuse me?" I sputter, tilting my head quizzically.

Aran stares at me stonily with a poisonous look in those eyes almost like he was battling the urge to kill me right there on the spot out of frustration or run me over with his car.

"Get in the fucking car, Rayne." He snaps, sucking in a lungful of the toxic smoke and blowing it out.

Is he serious? "You're completely out of your mind, Aran. This is my place of work. I don't appreciate you coming here and demanding things from me."

"Do I look like I care? Just get in."

"I'm not getting into that car with you and there's nothing you can do about it." I say with an air of finality, crossing my hand over my chest.

I hear him mutter strings of curses that could send a person to their early grave before the sound of a door slamming shut reaches my ears.

"What are you —" In one effortless move, I feel my body levitate off the ground before I'm settled into strong, muscular arms. I instantly went high at the excessive warmth that wrapped me up in a tight embrace and the intoxicating scent of his cologne-rich, sophisticated, a hint of warm spices and the intoxicating blend of woods. All mixed up to submerge a woman into the depths of temptation and pure desire.