01

"Time of death, 10:57am

"Time of death, 10:57am."

As soon as those words left the surgeon's mouth, everyone released an exasperated sigh. This is the fifth time something like this has happened. We all tried to save the patient's life but the situation was complicated. The hospital had inadequate medical facilities and sterile instruments to be used during surgery. This was a very big problem that had been brought to the attention of the government. There hasn't been any feedback since the time we appealed to them.

It just gets difficult to watch people die when there's absolutely nothing you can do about it even though you want to help so bad.

I'm not qualified to join the surgical team during surgery because I haven't gone to Medical school. Because of the little knowledge I have thanks to the medical books I've read and my time in college, they agreed for me to assist them just this one time. I happened to be the serious and hardworking one among all the nurses in Grace community hospital according to the doctors I've worked with. It's such an honor. I have dedicated all my time to doing the best in my ability to perform my duties in anyway I can. I have grown some special type of bond with the patients that have lost hope of ever getting better.

My dream of becoming a medical doctor still stands. Even now at 33years. I don't know how I will achieve it but I haven't lost hope yet.

Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong. Like my grandma would say, Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts. Yeah, she was a big fan of Albert Einstein back in the day.

Being a medical doctor comes with a lot of challenges. Some people can't stand the sight of blood but I can. I just hate seeing people die. Like right now, when the doctors and nurses prepare the dead patient for the hospital mortuary, I can't help but feel a certain heaviness in my chest. I'm not traumatized by the sight of the dead body, I'm just still in shock.

This is the first time I'm witnessing someone give up the ghost and not the ones in movies, for real this time. I decide it's time to leave while my emotions are still intact.

When I step out of the operating room, my heart clenches in my chest at the sight of a little girl crying and yelling as the doctor shook his head solemnly and walked away.

"My mom isn't dead, daddy. She can't be! She told me she would never leave me." She sobs, starting to get hysterical at the fact that her mom is dead.

"I know that, Honey. Please stop crying. Everything will be okay." Her father embraced her and tried to provide some sort of comfort while blinking back the tears that's threatening to escape. I could see the hopelessness in his eyes. He didn't know what to say that could appease the pain in her heart.

"It's not going to be okay, daddy. Mom is gone and she's never coming back." She sobbed into his chest, the tears flowing down her cheeks were endless.

I can't even imagine how she's feeling right now. My mother and I might not be on good terms or ever will, I can't stomach the thought of losing her. She's very important in my life. There is something about losing a mother that is permanent and inexpressible–– a wound that will never quite heal. No daughter and mother could ever live apart, no matter the distance between them.