06

"Do I look handsome?" Jonathan flashes me a wide grin as I change the IV tubing and fluids, disposing the ones that aren't of any use

"Do I look handsome?" Jonathan flashes me a wide grin as I change the IV tubing and fluids, disposing the ones that aren't of any use. I fluff his pillow a little bit more and adjust the position so he could sit up and lean back on it.

I shake my head with a smile and create a space on the bed next to him so I can sit. I take the tray of food and place it on my lap. "Of course you're handsome, gramps." I had the hospital chef prepare him a bowl of leafy green vegetables with avocado, apple, blueberries, sweet potatoes and eggs sliced into it. He doesn't like beans and lentils as well as winter squash. I made it very clear to the chef.

"Like sexy handsome?" He wiggles his eyebrows and opens his mouth to welcome the spoonful of vegetables and fruits I offer to him.

I let out a laugh and pinch his cheeks lovingly. "Why the sudden questions, gramps?"

"Well, when Julia wheeled me over to the bathroom, I made a quick stop at Naomi's room and tried to flirt with her but she didn't fall for my charms, sunflower." He mumbles, flashing me a cheeky grin that shows off his crooked teeth. Jonathan is full of humour. He never fails to make me laugh or feel better anytime I'm depressed. He doesn't seem bothered that his long term crush doesn't even like him. This man. "She's really missing a lot, sunflower."

I scoop some of the fruits with the spoon and bring it closer to his mouth. A chuckle slips past my lips as I place the tray on the bed next to me and retrieve the bottle water and glass cup from the bedside table. "I agree with you, Gramps. After all these years, you still got it."

Jonathan nods his head in agreement with a wide smile as I hand him a glass of water to drink. He closes his frail hands around the cup and drinks it all. His Adam apple bobs slowly with every gulp of the warm water.

I keep my gaze glued to the bowl of vegetables on my lap and twirl the spoon with my fingers. My heart lurches in my chest and a tingling dread creeps through my body when someone knocks on the door. My grip on the spoon tightens as I release a shaky exhale.

Jonathan eyes me worriedly while dropping the empty cup on the bedside table. The door knob begins to twist. Someone is trying to get in. It sounds ridiculous since this is a hospital and the doctors may want to check up on their patient.

Even with the reassurance, I feel anxious. My nerves are on fire and there's a rising tide of panic deep inside of me. The door slowly opens and when Josie walks in but pauses when she sees me, it feels like someone poured ice water on me. Relief like I've never known before washes over me.

"Hey, Rayne. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were here. Doctor Davis asked me to check up on Mr. Elliott." Josie adjusts the glasses on her face and waves at Jonathan who flashes her his signature wide smile.

I swallow the boulder in my throat and speak to her, "It's okay, Josie."

Josie nods and walks back out, shutting the door behind her. When her retreating footsteps reach my ears, I finally glance up at Jonathan who is regarding me with a concerned look.