11

My anger is like a ticking time bomb

My anger is like a ticking time bomb. Once you make the wrong move or miscalculate it goes boom. And then whoever is at the receiving end of it suffers the dire consequences.

I'm infamous for taking drastic measures and committing various kind of atrocities when I get angry. No one fucking dares to go against me or defy any of my command. If so, they will all perish.

I am a man of my word. I don't sugarcoat shit.

Yet, a certain someone had the goddamn fucking audacity to raise her hand at me. I'm stupefied.

The room is silent like a graveyard. You could hear everyone's harsh heartbeat and sense their panic in the air. They are all waiting for my reaction which they know will be explosive.

My cheek stung from the slap. My breathing turns harsh and labored from the rage sizzling through my body. I slowly turn my head to the woman standing before me. Not a single ounce of regret reflects on her face — only determination and satisfaction. There's a fire that blazes in her eyes that leaves me slightly impressed.

When I texted Rayne about the next job I wanted her to do for me, I knew she was going to react. I wanted to see the pure defeat on her face. Then she would realize just how much I'm in control of the situation and there was no escaping it.

She interrupted my meeting just like I suspected and then.....she hit me. No one has ever laid a hand on me— not even my parents. The thought of that makes my jaw clench so hard on instinct.

"Who the hell do you think you are, Aran? You have no right to order me around like an errand girl. Last night should be proof enough that I've paid my dues to you. We shouldn't have any reason to see each other anymore." Rayne glowers at me with a scowl. The sudden realization of what her words might have implied makes her eyes to widen and a flush to coat her cheeks.

My gaze swung over to the men seated in my chamber. In just a split second, they scrambled out of their seats and hurriedly rushed out of the room. Kane and Wayne were the last to leave. They lingered by the door for a bit probably wondering what my next action would be but the hostile look gleaming in my eyes had them exiting the room as well.

"Well, aren't you going to say anything?" The harshness in her voice directs my attention back to her. She has quickly recovered from the embarrassment of uttering those words that clearly meant something else.

When I made no move to answer her question, she continues. "Because of you, I had to do a lot of things that went against my self judgement. Things I could never tell anyone because I feel ashamed. I am a mother. I have a job and a grandmother to look after. I don't want to be involved in this dubious acts. Aran, I gave you my word. I wouldn't tell anyone about what I witnessed. What part of that don't you understand?" Her voice rises with every word that escapes her mouth. She is completely yelling at me and I don't like it. " I almost died, Aran. Don't you get it? This isn't —"