18

A/n: Hey beautiful people, I apologise for not updating yesterday. I have been so busy lately that I barely had enough chance to write.

I will try not to miss another update again.

I hope this chapter makes you happy in some way. Make sure to VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE.

Happy reading:)

"Thank you so much, Audrey

"Thank you so much, Audrey." I say with a tone of gratitude and disconnect the call. Now that Jonathan's transfer to another hospital has finally been taken care of, I can focus on other things like the pile of paper scattered across my dining table; a reminder that I had bills to pay.

I barely have any money left since most of it went to Jonathan's transfer. I don't regret it at all. He deserves to feel some sort of comfort now that he was changing to a better environment.

I sit back down in the chair and pick up my mug of coffee, sipping it leisurely with my eyes fixed on the bills I am yet to pay. I barely got enough sleep last night with this piled up problems scattered across my mind.

What made things worse was when the landlord showed up at my doorstep two days ago and informed me that there has been an increase in the rent. That's double of what I made at the hospital. I pleaded with him and explained my situation to him but he remained adamant and insisted that I pay within two weeks ultimatum.

In short, I'm out of options whatsoever. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I'm cornered in a tight space without any sort of breathing space or hope of a way out.

"Why is this happening?" I whisper, brokenly, a heavy sigh escaping my lips as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Why....why are things so damn complicated? What the hell did I do wrong for my life to end up like a pile of mess?" I speak softly through the lump in my throat as I try to blink away the tears that wouldn't stop falling.

I thread my fingers through my hair and grip it so tight that it stings my scalp. The apartment is so silent. The only sound that bounces off the walls is my gut-wrenching sob. I don't even know what to feel, how to act, what to say....I'm just clueless.

My breath hitches at the sound of the doorknob jiggling around. I quickly wipe the tears away, run a finger through my hair to tame the unruly strands before sitting upright and picking up one of the paper to stare at.

The door finally opens and Nellie walks in with headphones on and her backpack in hand. She whips her head in my direction to look at me, those blue eyes scan my face, her brow furrowing like she could tell that I had been crying.

I clear my throat. "How was school, Nellie?"

She looks at me with a thoughtful look like she's deciding whether she should answer my question or ask me why I was crying or just ignore me like I don't exist.