04

I hand the cab driver a few dollar billsand turn around to stare at Megan's mid-sized elegant white two story house

and turn around to stare at Megan's mid-sized elegant white two story house. You might be wondering how she lives in a house like this when she works at a small cafe earning minimal wage. Well that's because when she and Tony got divorced, his properties were divided between them. She got to keep the house they lived in and a few of his assets.

Megan is basically a rich woman but she loves working at the cafe and earning from her efforts than spending the money she didn't work hard for. All Tony's money were for the children's college funds. My best friend is that humble and I admire her for that.

I walk up the front steps and knock at the polished wooden door. I'd given up on trying to cover myself up earlier so I just tied the ends of the shirt into a knot though my bra was still visible. I hear the clicking sound of the lock before the doors swings open.

"Oh My Gosh, Rayne! You scared me to death, you bitch." Megan wraps her arms around me in a tight hug, burrowing her head in the crook of my neck. A smile tugs at my lips as I return the hug. I try not to wince at the death grip she has on me, her arms tightening to the point my bones could easily get crushed.

When she eventually releases me, I'm being pulled into her medium-sized living room. I can hear the loud chatter of the kids coming from the dining room. The waft of something delicious drifts into my nostrils. If I'm not already shaken up by what I witnessed, my stomach will be begging for attention but right now, it growls with a sinking feeling I can't quite describe.

I flop down on her sectional sofa with a resigned sigh and lean my head back when the exhaustion hits me.

"You have a lot to explain, Ray. But first, I have to handle those kids." Megan says to me with a pointed glare, concern flitting across her face after she scans my appearance. I know she is still upset with me for ignoring her calls and texts— that's how emotional she can be— she worries too much about me just like my grandma and I don't want them to be. I hate being a bother to anyone.

Megan doesn't wait for my reply before she's hurrying into the dining room with a slight shake of her head at the sound of her children's arguments. Immediately she's out of sight, I hear her reprimand them. The children's voice follows and it's nothing but a whiny protest. Then Megan speaks to them in a much sterner tone that leaves no room for arguments.

They go silent. I assume their mother's message went across to them. Their mother is not to be messed with when she's angry or serious about something.

The sound of their footsteps reach my ears before they make an appearance in the living room. When Crystal and Cameron set their eyes on me, they run over to where I'm seated with the speed of lightening. Screams of excitement leave their lips as they launch themselves at me, closing their arms around my shoulders in a bone-crushing hug. Just like their mother, the twins are a hugger.

They are 10years old but still manage to act like toddlers especially when they argue which happens to be a lot. It's not fun for their mother.

"Aunt Rayne, we've missed you so much." They chorus at the same time, peppering my face with sloppy kisses. I can't contain the laughter that erupts from me at their loving gesture. I love them so much.