They Don't Know About Us: Third Year Part 20

Chapter 20:

Princess Phoenix and Leith claim an empty compartment as their own on the ride back to Hogwarts. They aren't in the mood for anyone due to the last few nights have been rough, especially for his human mother. He lays on his mother's lap as she leans against the windowsill with her legs spread out across the bench.

"Hopefully, Uncle Severus will have something to help with this cold," she groans a bit when her head begins pounding a bit.

Leith let out a soft whimper.

Princess Phoenix sighs as she takes off her princess crown of branches and leaves.

"Morning, Princess Phoenix, morning, Leith," the familiar voice of the young Malfoy greets the two as he arrives at the doorway.

The gray/black-haired princess greets with a sneeze down onto the floor, away from Draco.

"Bless you!" he exclaims, leaning back surprised. "Bloody hell, are you ill or something?" Draco cringes.

"It's been a rough few nights," the young princess sighs, leaning back to close her eyes. Princess Phoenix didn't look good. Dark circles shade a greyish colour under her dusty eyes while her already pale skin grows paler. Sweat slightly damps the thick hair and neck area. A look of misery paints her features.

Malfoy lingers on his stare for a short while before closing the door, separating them from the rest of the students. "When the trolley comes around," Draco speaks, turning around, "I can get us something to eat and maybe something to drink to help with your illness."

"Th-Thanks," the young magical creature shivers a bit, cuddling with her companion for warmth.

Seeing her suffering saddens Draco's heart. He didn't like seeing his love in this state. The young Malfoy sits across from the mother and son duo as the train begins to move. A small shine of something catches the blond boy's attention within the gray/black hair. It confuses him a bit, but leaves it alone.

Princess Phoenix may be feeling miserable now, but she's grateful when Draco keeps his word of getting something from the trolley. She smiles weakly when accepting a warm cup filled with hot cocoa and a couple of cauldron cakes. The hot liquid feels so nice as she swallows it.

Leith happily enjoys the dragon's milk in his bowl.

"Did you hear about the hearing going on in London?" Draco asked then taking a bite of his cake.

"For Buckbeak? Yes, I have," she answers, almost sounding emotionless. "I am assuming you will be there as well because you were a victim of it?" Princess Phoenix didn't look at him while taking another sip.

Malfoy feels sad about her strong reaction to it. "No," his answer surprises her, making her look at him in disbelief. "I am staying here while my father will be at the hearing."

"Why am I not surprised?" she rolls her eyes.

"I can tell him to lighten up the hearing," he offers with a small smile.

"Don't lie to a princess," Princess Phoenix scoffs.

"I am not lying," his eyebrows frown at her. "I know I messed up big time-"

"Draco, please," she sighs. "I don't wish to remember such memories."

"Anything for you, my princess."

The rest of the train ride back to Hogwarts was silent. Princess Phoenix manages to slip into a nap after having her hot cocoa. Her faithful firedrake snuggles into her chest while her arm holds him close.

Draco reads his Quibbler where his secret crush had her essay published. He reads the essay with such interest in his eyes. Before meeting the young magical creature princess, he never knew the importance of creatures, other than obvious house elves in the magical household, of course. Now, after learning the importance of equality for magical creatures, he feels extremely terrible. He now knows it was wrong on so many levels.

A soft wince is heard. Malfoy looks up to see Princess Phoenix wincing a bit in her breathing. She's terribly ill, but how it happened is still a mystery because she's born into the cold.

He uses his wand to magically appear a warm blanket where Draco covers the young princess with her Leith. While tucking her in, the slight shine from earlier shines again. This time, icy eyes pay more attention to it. The blond sees the shine come within the grey/black locks. Gently and slowly his silvered ringed fingers tuck some of her hair behind her ear to see a silver and emerald earring draped over the pale flesh.

"What?" Draco softly mutters under his breath, slightly confused.

It's a gorgeous piece of jewelry, however, a slight wave of heaviness greets his fingers. Could the earring, or earrings, have been spelled?