They Don't Know About Us: Third-Year Part 4

Chapter 4:

The High Table has Lupin, Snape, McGonagall, Hagrid, and Dumbledore. The beautiful music of the choir singing to the trains of a harpsichord. A quintet of toads joins in the joy of the welcoming feast. Hogwarts' caretaker, Filch, stands there looking grimly to the side as the red-eyed Mrs. Norris switches at his feet.

Princess Phoenix chuckles when she feels Mrs. Norris brushes against her legs. She looks down with a smile, and she picks up the furry creature in her arms, hugging her. Draco watches his best friend with a smile as if he's in a trance.

Soon the choir's song ends, having Dumbledore rise on his feet. He beams at the sight of all of the students wearing their black hats. "Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts!" The Headmaster greets everyone. "I have a few things to say before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I, myself, am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups that our very own Phoenix Emberson of the Slytherin House has made personally for us all." The Slytherin girl smiles wickedly at him while hugging Mrs. Norris and waving. "It is one of the oldest recipes from the Emberson Family that is only made for special occasions, and this is certainly a special occasion. Also, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor."

Scatters of applause spread through the Hall when Professor Lupin secretly waved to Princess Phoenix with a smile. She happily returns it before placing Mrs. Norris back down on the ground.

Leith begins to play with Mrs. Norris on the floor.

"As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!"

Princess Phoenix joins in the clapping for the announcement. He turns a ruby red colour as he rises, nearly toppling the staff table, sending water goblets weaving.

"In addition, for this year, we will be having a graduate student from our brothers from Uagadou School of Magic as an assistant for Hagrid in Magical Creatures," Dumbeldore continues.

A young man around seventeen or eighteen years old entered the Great Hall. Everyone looks over to see him tall like around 6' 2" with shoulder-length raven black hair, skin is a palish tan colour while his lean, muscular body is clothed with black leather pants and black on black victorian trench coat. His heavy boots make heavy footsteps towards the Headmaster and staff. Lots of girls have little hearts in their eyes as they watch him walk across them.

"This is Mabuz Burrough," Dumbledore introduces the assistant to the school.

He turns around with instance dark eyes, making most girls sigh dreamily.

Draco rolls his eyes at him. "He's nothing special," he comments. Crabbe and Goyle agree with him. "What do you think, Phoenix?" he asked his best friend but didn't get an answer. "Phoenix?" he asked again, turning around, but gasped in shock.

Draco's princess is looking at Mabuz, stunned with little hearts around her head. She's been spelled by his appearance and him being into magical creatures—a dreamy smile curls up on her lips.

"Phoenix," Draco shakes her shoulder. "Phoenix?" he does it again, but a little louder.

"Huh?" she snaps out of her trance, turning her head to him.

"What was that?" he asked, confused and secretly hoping that she's not falling in love with this new guy.

"What do you mean?" Phoenix asked, truly confused.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note," Dumbledore then announces, "Hogwarts - at the request of the Ministry of Magic - will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban." Her eyes widened. "The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the ground. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstance are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving."

The Slytherin princess couldn't get over the shock of the sudden news. This will be a very interesting year out of all of her schooling years, but she didn't know how interesting it is going to be.

"Hello, everyone," Mabus greets the Slytherin gang while smirking, appearing to them at some point of the meal. "The name is Mabuz," he introduces himself, mainly to the Slytherin girl.

"H-Hi, m-my name is Ph-Phoenix," she greets back shyly, smiling a little. The two are staring at each other for a few moments until Draco clears his throat angrily. "Oh, umm, Mabuz, this is my best friend, Draco Malfoy, and our friends, Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe," she introduces them to him. Suddenly, her firedrake appears from under the table. "This is Leith, my-"

"A firedrake, brilliant," the assistant professor comments, amazed to see the creature. "Did you know that firedrakes are still being discovered to this day?"

"Many of them are mistaken as dragons because of their similar appearance," she adds while looking deep within his eyes.

Mabus looks deep within her eyes too.

"Awe, yea, well, don't you have anything else to do before classes begin?" Draco steps in, completely uncomfortable about what's going on.

"As a matter of fact, I do," the older teenager side-glares at the blond before returning his stare at the secret princess. "I must take my leave. Will I see you again, Miss Emberson?" Mabus asked with a smile on his face, giving her a secret wink.

"Yea," she smiles shyly.

Malfoy glares, watching the new guy walk away. "No one touches my princess," he thinks, almost growling.

Later on, Draco walks Princess Phoenix and Leith back towards the Slytherin dorms.

"I don't trust that Mabuz guy," her best friend growls under his breath.

"Huh? Why not?" she asked, a bit confused by the sudden confession.

"The way that guy is looking at you and how flirty is with you."

Princess Phoenix senses anger coming from him. "Draco, please keep your anger down for me," she says softly, turning to him and placing her hands on his shoulders. "You're important to me along with Leith, and I don't want to lose anyone precious to me," the young princess softly smiles.

Draco stares into the eyes of the love of his life. "You're precious to me, Princess Phoenix," he confesses, making her ears turn a light reddish colour. "I want to protect you because you mean everything to me," he whispers, looking deep into her eyes.

Leith watches from down below at their feet.

She smiles shyly, feeling her ears turn redder. "You're precious to me too, Draco," the magical creature princess whispers, shyly looking away.

This year's Head Boy walks by and notices the two best friends. "Hey! No PDA!" he yells at them, separating them. "It's close to curfew. Don't make my duties as Head Boy more difficult."

"Yes, sir," Princess Phoenix looks away, slightly embarrassed.

"Fine," Draco glares at him, hating him for ruining a perfect moment to confess fully. "May I walk you towards the dorms?" he asked the young princess.

"Of course."

Leith crawls up his mother's body and settles on her head along the way towards their dorm.