They Don't Know About Us: Third Year Part 10

Chapter 10:

Later that night, a strange crowd gathers on the Seventh Floor landing.

"What's the hold-up?" Ron asked. "Only Neville ever forgets the password."

One seventh-year student, Percy Weasley, comes passing over towards the crowd. "Let me through, please! Excuse me, thank you, I'm Head Boy...." suddenly, he stops. "Back! All of you! No one is to enter this dormitory until it has been fully searched!"

The three of the best friends share looks when the youngest Weasley emerges from the crowd, and her face looks ashen. "The Fat Lady.... she's gone."

"Probably stuffing her face with the apple that still lives on the second floor again," Ron mentions.

"No. You don't understand-"

Hermione gasps, knowing what's going on.

Everyone gathers around and immediately notices that the Fat Lady's portrait has been slashed viciously. Great canvas hanging from the frame.

"Mr. Filch," Dumbledore appears before them. "Round up the ghosts. Tell them to search every painting in the castle for the Fat Lady."

A scream catches their attention. The Gryffindor students dash to the landing. The paintings on the walls whisper fearfully.

"There'll be no need for ghosts, Professor," Filch announces when he finds her. He extends his crooked finger up high, possibly close to the ceiling.

It's the Fat Lady cowers in a portrait trembling.

"Who did this you?" Dumbledore asked, concerned.

"Eyes like the devil he's got," she begins in a trance. "And a soul as dark as his name. It was him. The one they talk about. He's here, somewhere in the castle. Secure the castle, Mr. Filch. The rest of you," he turns to the Gryffindor students, "to the Great Hall."

Two firedrakes secretly enter the Great Hall after hearing what has happened. Harry's still awake and notices the two figures but doesn't think much of them.

Soon a gentle creak appears. Professor Snape passes through the great doors with Professor Dumbledore. His cold eyes meet two figures in the shadows for a brief moment before turning back towards the Headmaster.

"I've done the dungeons, Headmaster," he tells him. "No sign of Black nor anywhere else in the castle."

The Headmaster nods his head. "I didn't really expect him to linger."

"Remarkable feat, don't you think?" their Potions professor asks. "To enter Hogwarts on one's own, completely undetected...." Professor Dumbledore gazes at the students, refusing to take a comment on it. "You may recall, prior to the start of the term, I did express my concerns when you appointed Professor-"

"I do not believe a single professor inside this castle would have helped Sirius Black enter it, Severus," Headmaster looks at him. Professor Snape's eyes grew darker. "For now, let them sleep. It's astonishing what the body can endure when the mind allows itself to rest."

One of the firedrakes nod at its partner, who nods back. They quickly leave the Great Hall and into the hallway they could hide from the professors.

Princess Phoenix turns back into her human form, gathering all the information in her heart. "Sirius Black?" she whispers, thinking. "As in Narcissa's cousin....well, formerly cousin?" Suddenly, a hand appears from behind her and covers her mouth!