CHAPTER 43: DAHLIA

Two months later

Two months later

ZARIYAH'S and ZACH'S WEDDING was attended by every A-list celebrity in Hollywood. After weeks of trading screenshots, phone calls, Facetime, and two flights out to LA, I had completed my first dress and Zariyah had the wedding dress of her dreams.

A cocktail of relief, excitement, and gratefulness sloshed around my stomach.

I stared at my dream come to life and the bride, who looked stunning as she slowed danced with her new husband in a one-of-a-kind Dahlia Harper wedding gown.

I've come a long way from that sick, young girl who spent more than half of her life in and out of the hospital drawing in her notebook.

I specialized in high fashion like my mother. But unlike her, I specialized in bridal gowns. While I'll always credit my mother as my inspiration for wanting to be a designer, I didn't want to be her. I wanted to be my own person, and carve out my own lane.

In only two months, I, Dahlia Harper, have become a designer of hot commodities.

All of my gowns are inspired by the love I've been exposed to my entire life; that's the good thing about having parents who have been happily married for a little over two decades. I even had a few designs inspired by the love of my parent's friends that I've witnessed my whole life; each dress was unique and one of a kind.

My debut collection, Dream, was inspired by my dreams; a dream that I held onto from the moment I was five years old and my mother allowed me to dress up in her wedding gown.

Zariah's dress was an ivory off-the-shoulder ball gown. The intimate detail of every vine and flower intricately connected throughout the lace material was breathtaking and I couldn't be prouder.

"How are you feeling?" My mother came up beside me. Zariah and Zach were gracious enough to grant me an invitation to their wedding and extend the offer for a plus one. It was only right that my mother be my date since I wouldn't have gotten this far if it wasn't for her. Her curly brown hair is brushed back in a low ponytail, and her evergreen dress matches the color of her eyes. She had been the best soundboard over the last eight weeks while I started making moves to make my dream into a reality, and now I couldn't believe there was ever a time I thought she wouldn't understand what it was like to be unsure of her talent.

Like mother, like daughter. I guess the saying was true, after all.

"It's surreal" I admitted. "Do you remember feeling like this?"

She grabbed my hand and squeezed. That was my favorite thing about my mom. A simple touch or look from her washed me with a sense of ease I hadn't felt a moment ago.

"Absolutely," She said, her eyes twinkling. "I almost screamed for five minutes straight when I turned on the TV and saw Kris Carrera-Reynolds walking the red carpet wearing one of my dresses." She admitted.