CHAPTER 4: KIERAN

I HOPE YOU REALIZE WHAT A GOOD BROTHER I AM," Kal says just before a yawned escapes his lips

I HOPE YOU REALIZE WHAT A GOOD BROTHER I AM," Kal says just before a yawned escapes his lips. "For waking up at the ass-crack of dawn to go for a run when I have a yoga instructor named Raven in my bed."

I chuckled before shoving my black hoodie over my head.  "We both know I'm doing you a favor because you hate Pillow Talk."

Kal doesn't bother denying it because he knows it's true. "You can at least buy me large black coffee at The Daily Grind when we're done."

"If I agree, will you stop bitching?" I asked

"Would you toss in some waffles with the coffee?"

"Don't push your luck." I punched his shoulder before I took off running.

Kal and I couldn't be more different if we tried to be. Where I was content with being alone and enjoying my own company, Kal thrived around large crowds. I was selective when it came to the women I decided to lavish my attention on, where Kal followed the woman with the biggest ass and prettiest face.

He also looked more like our father than me. While we both inherited his tall height and sun kissed skin tone, Kal got dad's dark brown eyes, dark brown hair. I remember overhearing our mom say once that sometimes it was hard to look at Kal because she would see so much of our father in him. I don't think she realized I heard her say it but I never told Kal.

I inherited a even mixture of the both of my parents from my father's height, tan skin  to our mothers straight dark brown hair and unique eye color.
We finished our five mile run along the Anacostia Riverwalk Trial before trucking it back to the apartment.

I had a meeting with the club manager to talk about the revenue we brought in this mouth, a video call with my real estate about the property I'm interested in for the second location for the club and I needed my assistant to schedule a dinner with the senior director of KCG modeling about having her models be the first ones seen at the new location.

"Oh," A soft voice says behind us, sounding startled. "I must've gotten off the wrong floor."

The woman standing in front of the elevator doors is tall with a willowy body, warm mocha skin and high cheekbones. She's wearing a short gray dress that outlines her curves.
I immediately recognize her as supermodel Ayana and Private Investigator, Roman's daughter, Eliza.

"Are you sure about that, because I'm right here beautiful."

Eliza grins but doesn't look impressed. Clearly, she's someone who is used to male attention.

"Trust me, I'm too much for you to handle." The woman spoke confidently.  "I'm here to see Rhett."

Of course she is. Why am I not surprised?
Rhett Finlay was the Prince Of Rock and Hollywood's newest it boy. His latest hit song was all over the radio and ever since he moved into The Mirage, the front of the apartment has been crowded by fans and paparazzi alike who all waited to catch a glimpse of the rockstar.

Security was tight here— tighter than the security at Fort Benning, which is why no fan or anyone else for that matter who doesn't live at The Mirage or is on a list of approved visitors can gain access inside.

"Fourteenth floor." I tell her. She nods her head in my direction as a thanks and I watch as her eyes linger on my face a little bit longer than appropriate as she checks me out.

It's obvious she likes what she sees but my brother is the interested one, not me.

"Let me make sure you get there safely." Kal says as he follows her back onto the elevator. He turns to me and winks just before the elevator door shuts.

And if I know my brother, which I do, he'll use his charm and have her eating out of his hand and probably on her knees before she ever reaches Rhett's floor.

I shake my head, amazed at how different the two of us are as I pull out my swipe card to unlock my door when I hear the elevator doors ding once again.

Curls.

Whiskey-colored eyes.

The maddening scent of fresh green apples.

I watched as Dahlia stepped off the elevator and walked down the halls carrying a plant.

"Looks like you're breaking a sweat moving in." I teased her.

She rolled her eyes in response. "There goes my hope that you wouldn't live across the hall."

"I'm glad I could disappoint you." I grinned.

"You don't even work for my dad anymore and it's not like you need the money. So why did you agree to watch out for me?" She demands.

That's my secret, Little Lamb.

"Maybe I just wanted to see more of you, especially after our riveting conversation Friday night."

"That's not it and we both know it." Dahlia glowers at me.

"Whatever my reason is or isn't, is none of your concern. I agreed and you can either complain to daddy about it or we could make this work for the both of us. What do you have to lose?"

Instead of responding, Dahlia turned around and swiped her card, letting her door opened.

"See you around neighbor." Dahlia replied before she enter the room.

As I watched her ass in those tiny tight shorts, I found the answer to my own question.

My mind. That's what I had to lose.